Chainsaw fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh mixed fuel. Non ethanol high test lasts 30 days max. Inbetween don’t forget to shake the gas can to stir up the mix before you pour. I store the cases of 50:1 husky fuel but add more husky two stroke oil when I use them. Having the pre mix on hand came in handy for the past three storms with blow downs.

My old two stroke mix goes in my logsplitter,mower.

Do yall mix your own or buy premixed fuel
If you mix your own how long is it good for

I drive about 40 minutes to get 90 E free. I get 15 gallons in 3 METAL cans. Soon as I get home I put Stabil in them. Supposed to keep it good for 24 months but I have never kept it that long. I use it in my mower and all my small engines. When I need mixed fuel, I measure out 1 gallon in a measuring pitcher and add my oil to make 40:1. I also add 1oz of seafoam to the mix. I use it until it's gone. I just used some in a chainsaw that had been mixed for about 8 months. It ran perfectly just like always.

Ok I have used it in my vehicles and I like it but I like a have said before I am kind of a newbie to 2 strokes and small engines

For me it depends on how long it will sit. I only mix 1 gallon at a time and I always use it before it gets 30 days old. If you use it within 30 days and run your saw dry before you put it away, ethanol fuel (pump gas) is just fine as long as you use it up within that 30 day time frame and run it dry before you put it away. For my generators where the fuel will sit for months before it gets used up I only use e free fuel. Same with my splitters, I use plane ol pump gas because it's cheaper and I use it up so fast it doesn't have time to sit for more then a week or two. The key is how long it will sit un used.

Ok I have used it in my vehicles and I like it but I like a have said before I am kind of a newbie to 2 strokes and small engines

We were all newbies at some point. So ask questions, that's how you learn. If you are not going to use much fuel, then the canned stuff is the way to go. But if you use slot, it's way too expensive. I have a pole saw that I only use once or twice a year. It gets canned fuel. I leave fuel in it and it starts in 2or 3 pulls after sitting for a year.

Well i have used almost a gallon aday for the last 3 days witch is alot for me and family in our saws and probably 2 gallons or more a week in summer in our trimmers

We were all newbies at some point. So ask questions, that's how you learn. If you are not going to use much fuel, then the canned stuff is the way to go. But if you use slot, it's way too expensive. I have a pole saw that I only use once or twice a year. It gets canned fuel. I leave fuel in it and it starts in 2or 3 pulls after sitting for a year
For me it depends on how long it will sit. I only mix 1 gallon at a time and I always use it before it gets 30 days old. If you use it within 30 days and run your saw dry before you put it away, ethanol fuel (pump gas) is just fine as long as you use it up within that 30 day time frame and run it dry before you put it away. For my generators where the fuel will sit for months before it gets used up I only use e free fuel. Same with my splitters, I use plane ol pump gas because it's cheaper and I use it up so fast it doesn't have time to sit for more then a week or two. The key is how long it will sit un used.

Exactly. Well said.

Well i have used almost a gallon aday for the last 3 days witch is alot for me and family in our saws and probably 2 gallons or more a week in summer in our trimmers

Then you need E free gas and a good oil. I use Amsoil saber or dominator mixed at 40:1 in all my 2 stroke equipment.

We were all newbies at some point. So ask questions, that's how you learn. If you are not going to use much fuel, then the canned stuff is the way to go. But if you use slot, it's way too expensive. I have a pole saw that I only use once or twice a year. It gets canned fuel. I leave fuel in it and it starts in 2or 3 pulls after sitting for a year.
I agree. Between my 2 splitters, 2 generators and my 3 saws and I cut and split over 100 cords a year, I go through quite a bit of fuel. It's a 70 mile round trip to the nearest E free fuel so I tend to use as much pump gas as I can.

Back