Chainsaw Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've already posted this in the chainsaw section but only got 2 replies. I know it's not a modded saw but I thought I'd get more than that!

This is on a Husky 385xp that's about 12 years old.

The pic below helps explain what I'm looking at and don't understand. Is the tank vent the little round thing between the 2 bar bolts? I warmed the tank and had oil seeping from the delivery tube and it was getting wet inside the clutch housing, and when I pushed on the center hole of that little round thing, I got a shot of bar oil. If it's a vent, it's not venting. The service manual makes no mention of a tank vent but I'm sure it has to have one.

Thanks!

Attachments

• OilProblem.jpg
    OilProblem.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 61
The little hole that you stuck the wire in is your oiler port. It's supposed to come out of there. Likely your bar is plugged with gunk and the oiler is backfeeding into the housing. Take it all apart and clean it thouroughly. Just my input. I have never worked on a Husky. It doesn't have to be modded to be in the chainsaw forum. That forum had helped me with many things on all my stock saws.

The little silver round thing is the vent. The top part is the channel where the oil comes out.

Thanks mdavlee!

So should I have got a squirt of oil from the vent when I pushed on it?

I've left the saw in the warm shop, (without a bar on it), and I have a decent sized puddle under it after a day. It looks like it's coming from the oil discharge tube that feeds the bar, but if I'm correct in my thinking, it shouldn't come out of there unless the pump is pumping it or the vent is not working, causing pressure to build up in the oil tank.

Pretty much got it there. Change the vent out and most of the problems should go away.

Do you know how that's done? I have the service manual for this saw but it doesn't even make reference to the vent, much less explain how to change it!

Latest posts

Back