Chainsaw man 'making a stand for family'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Had to wonder if this was any of the AS kiwi set. At least there's a happy ending: the chainsaw (make and model withheld) will not be destroyed.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2320900/Chainsaw-man-making-a-stand-for-family

2320757.jpg

Chainsaw man 'making a stand for family'

By JODY O'CALLAGHAN - Manawatu Standard
Last updated 12:03 07/04/2009

A Pahiatua man who pleaded guilty to throwing a petrol can and revving a chainsaw at police says he was making a stand for his family.

Daniel Lewis Mailman, 41, contacted the Manawatu Standard to "tell his side of the story" because he was worried about being reported as "a mongrel bastard".

"People around here all think I'm a f***ing loop."

The father-of-three was convicted of possessing a weapon, resisting police, driving dangerously and driving while disqualified following an incident that arose out of a domestic dispute callout south of Pahiatua at 8pm on January 4.

His wife of 25 years had run from their home carrying their 2-year-old daughter. She flagged down a passing car and asked them to call police, prosecuting Sergeant Ollie Outtrim told the Palmerston North District Court yesterday.

The sole police officer who attended was then forced to call in the Armed Offenders Squad when Mailman was seen carrying a running chainsaw in a threatening manner, he said.

"He was holding it up at chest height and constantly revving the saw as he walked towards the patrol car."

He swore profusely, told the officer to leave and ran at the patrol car before pelting the car with a petrol container and a stone, he said.

Mailman's two sons, aged 7 and 11, pulled offensive hand gestures, swore and raised baseball bats at the officer.

While waiting for the AOS to arrive, the officer watched as Mailman skidded his car on the front lawn and rammed the front gate before shutting himself and his boys in the shed, refusing to come out.

State Highway 2 was closed for more than an hour until police arrested him, Sergeant Outtrim said.

Outside court, Mailman said he became angry when he saw gang members had pulled over to help his wife and he saw them rifling through the boot as though looking for a weapon.

A tough, young prospect and a tattoo-faced man surfaced carrying an umbrella and a wheel brace before ringing police, he said.

"I fired up my chainsaw and chopped it through the fence at them to let them know I had it.

"Then I fired up my Falcon."

Mailman who said he had been driving since he was 7 years' old, but was disqualified at the time drove his car with one hand while the other hand held the running chainsaw out the window.

When police arrived, it made him more angry.

"I needed some time for some peace in my head. Me and my boys, we were making a stand for our family. We're so sick of the stuff we've been going through."

The labourer turned fulltime father said he was facing jail time, but he wanted it known his family would be in danger if he was not there to protect them from gangs.

Police withdrew charges of threatening speak and threatening to kill. An order for destruction of the chainsaw was not made because it was needed to cut firewood for his family.

Judge Grant Fraser remanded Mailman on bail until sentencing on June 22.

Last edited:
I just wonder...

Police withdrew charges of threatening speak and threatening to kill. An order for destruction of the chainsaw was not made because it was needed to cut firewood for his family.

It had to be a wildthing....They prob. laughed with him wavin that in the air and felt sorry for him....... :laugh:

Last edited:
Man in BC behaving badly with chainsaw. Also 41 years old. Rock singers seem ti die at 27 (Hendrix, Cobain, Morrison, Joplin). Men seem to go bonkers with saws at 41. (I still have a couple years).

Some interesting comments below the story.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/kamloopsthisweek/news/42111972.html#disqus_thread

Chainsaw wielding Kamloops man in tree for in six hours

Kamloops This Week

Published: March 29, 2009 11:00 PM
Updated: March 30, 2009 8:04 AM

A tense six-hour standoff Saturday that saw a Kamloops man perched in a willow tree with a chainsaw almost ended in tragedy, police say.

RCMP Staff Sgt. Doug Aird said the 41-year-old suspect had been drinking when he got into an argument with his father and began threatening him with a chainsaw.

Police were called around 7 p.m., and the man climbed 30 feet up a tree on Ridgeview Terrace on the North Shore, chainsaw in tow.

A police negotiator was brought in from Kelowna to talk the man down, and Kamloops Fire Rescue crews were on standby with a ladder truck.

At one point during the standoff, Aird said, the man threw the chainsaw down at a Mountie.

After six hours, the man was convinced to leave his perch — but not before he struck the police negotiator with a burning tree branch.

The suspect was arrested and had been scheduled to appear before a justice of the peace on Sunday.

Aird said Mounties are recommending charges of assault with a weapon and uttering threats.

The Mountie who was the target of the chainsaw wasn't hurt.

4 Comments

trafalmador 1 week ago
Geez,lighten up a little. Some drunk took a chain saw up a tree ....big freakin' deal. Maybe you're right,they shouldn't taser him and instead they should have done what Hightower did in the immortal movie,Police Academy and shoot him down.....

rj123 1 week ago
In the past, I too might have thought or said the humorous(?) things the two previous people have said; having witnessed a large amount of what went on with this situation, it was far from funny; the authorities worked in a very sensitive atmosphere and accomplished the goal of bringing things under control with no loss of life or property. As for the police and taser jokes, I am maxed on these; the police at YVR may have errored at certain points, this is yet to be concluded; but I challenge anyone to take a walk in the shoes of the average (!) RCMP for a day; emotionally charged situations, people not in full control of themselves, having to make crucial decisions in a short time based on only the information available now; a recipe for high pressure and stress; I think they need the public's support now more than ever; imagine the alternative to what we have; chaos

broadpowers 1 week ago
Well the guy threw the police the chainsaw, all police had to do was cut the tree down, then the man would be within range to use the taser!
o
semiauto 1 week ago
What the police should have done was the same thing as when a kitten is up a tree. Just leave the guy alone. When he gets cold,hungry and sober,he'll come down on his own. Then you Taser him.

Self explanes....

RCMP Staff Sgt. Doug Aird said the 41-year-old suspect had been drinking when he got into an argument with his father and began threatening him with a chainsaw.

Police were called around 7 p.m., and the man climbed 30 feet up a tree on Ridgeview Terrace on the North Shore, chainsaw in tow.

A police negotiator was brought in from Kelowna to talk the man down, and Kamloops Fire Rescue crews were on standby with a ladder truck.

At one point during the standoff, Aird said, the man threw the chainsaw down at a Mountie.

Had to be a Crapsman....I bet his Dad said when the young punk pulled the saw out,,,*son you better have some vasaline cause I'm gonna shove that saw so far up your a**... * No wonder he climbed up a tree,,and then trew it down at the Mountie........... :laugh:

One last one. Just so the non-US folks don't think I'm picking on other countries. Although the fact this happened in Maine makes that last sentence debatable. :D

Moral of the story is be careful striking up friendships on the Internet.

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-19.html

Maine Chainsaw Romance
1999 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin

(5 July 1999, Maine) An internet romance blossomed then faded, after a Missouri man traveled to Maine to meet his destiny. In a bizarre merging of "You've Got Mail" with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," James swung a chainsaw and severed his own neck, in a futile effort to prove his love to the woman who had spurned his face-to-face romance.

He began his relationship with "Beth" over the internet a year ago, and moved from Missouri to Topsham, Maine on June 23 to further the affair. Instead, she insisted upon ending the relationship. Distraught, James drove to her house on River Road, knocked on the door, and asked her adult son to get his mother. The son refused and locked all the doors. James pulled a chainsaw from his trunk, stood on the lawn, and performed his macho act in a vain attempt to impress the depth of his feelings upon the woman.

Police arrived to find him barely alive. "There was blood all over. I couldn't see where the wound was," explained William Robbins of the Sagadahoc County Sheriff's Department. James died in the hospital shortly thereafter.

Debra, a friend of the deceased, believes that "Beth" abused James' affection. "He spent thousands of dollars on calls, email, computers," she said, "and also helped that woman pay her bills." Debra received a desperate phone call just hours before he took his life. She reported that he begged, "Tell me you forgive me." She did, and then the phone went dead. She attempted to alert authorities but had insufficient information regarding his whereabouts.

James had attempted suicide five years earlier, and had seemingly recovered his equilibrium. He purchased the chainsaw in Maine a week prior to his sensational death.

One last oddity: James has two brothers also named James, and the three are distinguished by middle names. Is this clear sign of parental lunacy a coincidence, or the cause of his insanity? You be the judge!

Back