Chainsaw mill prices/suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scryan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a chainsaw mill just for personal use lumber on my property, but very few sites list their prices. I'm a 2:00am internet research type, so calling salesmen is a little bit tricky...are there any sites you can recommend that lists prices of the numerous companies.

Also, if anyone can recommend a specific company or model. I see a lot of guys building their own, but at this point I'm not confident enough in my metalworking abilities to attempt it. I just know I have a ton of projects from buildings to fences and I'd love to save some money and have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Thanks
Shawn

I have 2 of the Granberg Alaskan mills. 24 and 36 inch rails, altho I've used the 36 inchers only a handfull of times. The quality is pretty good. The only thing I've had trouble with is the cheap ubolts they use. If I remember correctly you can get a new one for around $200 including shipping.

Baileys, a sponsor here has them.

Welcome. Where in upstate NY? I'm right on the mass line, 35 miles southeast of Albany. 2-1/2 hours from the rotten apple.......yet they still come up here....:mad:

I built my 1st mill out of 1&1/2" square steel and used it for a year.It is patterend after the granberg mill.I then bought a granberg because it is lighter to carry in the woods.They are a good mill. I like the way they go on the saw without drilling the bar. You won't be sorry if you get one.I wouldn't use anything else now.It will pay for itself in wood you get the first day or so.Can't beat that deal:)

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a chainsaw mill just for personal use lumber on my property, but very few sites list their prices. I'm a 2:00am internet research type, so calling salesmen is a little bit tricky...are there any sites you can recommend that lists prices of the numerous companies.

Also, if anyone can recommend a specific company or model. I see a lot of guys building their own, but at this point I'm not confident enough in my metalworking abilities to attempt it. I just know I have a ton of projects from buildings to fences and I'd love to save some money and have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Thanks
Shawn

I can recommend the logosol M5/M7 mill, quite a bit more than an Alaskan but worth it in my opinion. Prices are on their website, they run specials too. Don't skimp on the saw, I've a 066M and wonder if I should have got an 088.......

Welcome. Where in upstate NY? I'm right on the mass line, 35 miles southeast of Albany. 2-1/2 hours from the rotten apple.......yet they still come up here....
Hit Albany and head north about 2 1/2 hours, when you get to Plattsburgh hang a left for another half hour. It has it's drawbacks being this far from 'civilization', but on the whole I guess I choose to stay. If I need any culture Montreal is only an hour from here. We're actually closer up here to Boston than we are to NYC. If it makes you feel any better, the NYC/NJ crowd has discovered the North Country too. The Lake Placid area (about an hour SW) has become one of THE million dollar second or third home spots :buttkick: The biggest drawback is something nobody really thinks about; you can't get a reputable contractor to do a small job anymore. If it isn't an Adirondack McMansion, it isn't worth their time. That's why I'm hoping to do as much as I can myself. :chainsaw:

What size saw do you run on the 24"? I checked out Bailey's and that looks like exactly what I have in mind, but reading their recommendations you need to get into some huge saws. I'm planning on getting a new saw in the next couple weeks (40 birthday present from my wife) to replace my little Stihl, but nothing as big as they're recommending.

Later,
Shawn

I've been in your area, quite beautiful. Right now I run a Pioneer P51 82 cc's but I have milled with much smaller. I've posted many times about milling with a 50 cc saw on this site. If you've got a good quality 50 to 60cc firewoodsaw, you can get started milling with that untill you get a bigger saw.

Latest posts

Back