chainsaw milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireball33

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wanted some thoughts I have a stihl 460 with 24" bar and would like to do some milling I borrowed my friends 880 and 36" alaskan sawmill attachment and it did really great i made alot of planks from white pine wanted to know if there is anyone who uses a 460 i will probably borrow the mill but can't always borrow the saw

thanks
Kevin

Just wanted some thoughts I have a stihl 460 with 24" bar and would like to do some milling I borrowed my friends 880 and 36" alaskan sawmill attachment and it did really great i made alot of planks from white pine wanted to know if there is anyone who uses a 460 i will probably borrow the mill but can't always borrow the saw

thanks
Kevin

I milled with a 460 for a while before I got my Husky 395. To be honest, that 460 and the 395 didn't seem all that different on stuff 12 inches an under, both tons of power, but on the larger cants, say 20-30 inches, the 460 would go a good bit slower. Still got the job done though.

Yep with your 24" bar you'll have a max if 20" after attaching the mill. Be sure to take the dogs off your saw or you'll give that up too. With the 460 and a max of 19" or 20" you'll be ok. My Dolmar 120si with a 24" does the job ok on softwoods. Just take your time and keep that chain sharp. :cheers:

I've milled logs with my 460, 32" bar, semi-skip, full chisel, and while the finish isn't as smooth as a standard milling chain, it goes down a 24"dia oak log pretty well. Noticably faster than my 075.

Back