Chainsaw storage in/on a vehicle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96r50

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Earlier this spring I bought an older Stihl 026. The saw spends a fair bit of time floating around in the back of my SUV, and I'm getting tired of it sliding around and getting oil/gas/sawdust all over the cargo area. I'm also not keen on the havoc it could wreak in an accident. I've got a bar cover on it now, but that's it for protection. I've seen the plastic cases, and heard of some folks making a box to hold the saw/oil/gas/tools, but I'm curious to see other folks methods of bringing a saw along with them in or on their rig. Post up your set up!

I gotta admit I sprung for the Stihl blown plastic case for my favorite 028 Super. That way I could keep it in any of my vehicles without it smelling like fuel and oil. I like the smell but my wife doesn't and I don't want her to blow the "shut off" valve.

I am going to make a custom hardwood box made up of the T/G hardwood flooring my uncles sawmill sells. Prob use brass or stainless steel corners. Been wanting one for a while...Bob

Twinkle rides with the wind.

attachment.php

my saws ride shotgun! I have had saws in the back of my van, but don't like them sliding around just in case they get damaged. I have been known to shout "Oh Lord! Sorry!" when I go over a bump and hear a thud from the back as a saw jumps around...

cheers.
Joe

You can modify boxes that aren't necessarily designed for a particular saw too.

I was going to make one out of heavy ply for my main saw, but following on from some other posts I cheaped out and ordered a Husky Powerbox from my local chainsaw repairer and modified it with a heat gun to fit my Dolkita.

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=129883&highlight=powerbox

It was going to get too knocked around in our Patrol and Defender ute trays without some sort of protection.

That's not cheaping out Rick, that's trick. I ran a Stihl case for the 371 for years.

Cheaped out as In not making my own.

I actually don't think I could make a box for the price of the Huskie one, and it was easy to manipulate the box, just heat till soft, place the saw in the box and close around the saw till it set.

I put my 090 on the front seat with the seat belt on, and my Mrs in the back of the ute.:)

Haha, thats funny.

I have a bedrug in the back of my truck, and then have a couple floormats back there that the saws ride on. They all stay upright, because I pack them against my fuel can/ bar oil, and ammo boxes (I keep other stuff besides ammo in), but the 090 does like to roll around a bit on me.
For what you are wanting, I would grab the cheapest hardcase I could find. Ive never felt the need for one, but my saws dont ride with me in the cab either.

Alright, it looks like a case/box of some kind is the answer. I've never really liked the Stihl cases (I've seen the "hinge" crack and the handle come off). I've seen a squarish Husqvarna case that I liked so I may look into that. Thanks everyone! :bowdown:

I have a wooden ammo crate I use in the back of my Cherokee. Keeps everything upright and from rolling around the cargo area. Saw goes in the case and then in the crate. All the other odds and ends go in the crate around the saw case.

Buy a square case or go for the big padded one. I do like that guys big padded one for extra room! Looks like a bands on road case.

My MS361 lives in a MS290 plastic Stihl case with the chain brake off. That is the only way it will fit tight and not bind. The 360 361 440 460 case is way too loose around the saw. It holds the scrench and file on the outside where I like them. Husky does have some nice square cases. Heck Northern Tools has some big square ones too.

I'm sure the sponsors on here can provide you with way more than what you need.

I have posted this several times on different threads. i made these brackets and bolted them to my took box. i ended up getting a hardtop cover for my truck so i dont use them anymore. build something like this and mount it in your SUV.

DSC04118.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

I put my 090 on the front seat with the seat belt on, and my Mrs in the back of the ute.:)

Sounds like the bar must have been off. Picked up my 084 from the shop with the 42 in. bar on -- wouldn't fit in the trunk of my little 2-door Echo, so I put the power head on the floor of the passenger side, with the bar going between the seats and the tip resting on the back seat (too lazy to take the bar off).

Yea, should have put the seat belt on it, but I was just driving through town at 25 mph. I think one of the guys at the shop was shaking his head through the window -- I kinda felt like I was driving a clown car :laugh:

Back