Chainsaw Terminology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
Reaction score
"Bore cut", " Barberchair ", Can someone please explain these terms to me ? I've seen them used many times here at AS. I looked in treedictionary.com but they were not listed. What are some of the other "CODE WORDS" that I can learn from you guys ? Uh, pertaining to arborists that is ? Thanks to all who reply !!

Barber chair

Here is a barber chair pic. Tree splits verticaly while falling usually from not enough under cut or not completing enough back cut fast enough tends to happen on heavy leaner's. Split can be much longer and there is a danger of the spliting back half smaking the sawer. Have seen videos of weighted maniquins set up and thrown several feet by the tail.

Bore cutting.

Plunging into the wood with the tip of the bar in the middle instead of from the outside. Used to keep some holding wood in tacked while prepping a cut to prevent splitting while bucking and back east they use it to prevent a tree from setting back while falling.

Yeah, thats what I'm asking for! Like what is WOT ? Forgive me,Clearance. if I'm not up to par. Im just askin!!

Yeah, thats what I'm asking for! Like what is WOT ? Forgive me,Clearance. if I'm not up to par. Im just askin!!

WOT=wide open throttle Dutchman=undercut in which the two cuts do not meet and the flat cut goes past the other one into the holding wood, can cause the tree to barberchair. Domino=pushing over a cut-up tree or trees with another tree.

WOT=wide open throttle Dutchman=undercut in which the two cuts do not meet and the flat cut goes past the other one into the holding wood, can cause the tree to barberchair. Domino=pushing over a cut-up tree or trees with another tree.

I call the Domino a "Suicide Wedge".
Nothing better than jacking a 4000Bf Sugar Pine into a 3500bf white fire that sat down on the jacks on 70% grade straight up hill, all while being up against a majopr Class I drainage.
True story, this past August.
Thats why we get paid the big bucks I guess.

Thanks Clearance, Thats what I needed to know. :cheers:
that helps alot.

...back east they use it to prevent a tree from setting back while falling.

Here we use wedges to prevent setback, and use the borecut for headleaners. It allows you to get you back cut up to the holding wood, and then nip the holding wood at the back of the tree to prevent the barberchair, or a split piece of merchantable timber.

The problem with a barber chair is that the spar, or whatever you want to call the tree above the stump, can peel off the cambium and kick straight back. Which is why you stay off to either side of the stump as best you can.

Jeff

When I think about it, about half of the falling/logging terminology I know are terms that might or would be considered politicaly or sexually incorect. Not sure what that says about us as a group.:jester:
There are at least several states and a few different countries that have their names included in falling or logging methods. Some are good methods and some not. Some are just used to describe a naturally occuring feature of a tree.
Woops, sorry, I just realized the original question was about "arborist" terms and that leaves me out. I bet the arborist's out there have a bunch of derogatory logger connected terms that they wont mention because of a fear of offending us easily offended logger types.:)

Here is a "safe" one. The anti-theft position. Which is when you are hung up (bar is stuck) in a big log or you misjudged a lean when felling a tree and your saw is stuck in the backcut.

Finally a term that I can relate too! The "anti-theft position", nice one. When you only have one saw, that one sucks. Would imagine that if it ever happened to me and I had no wedges, I would have to call my brother-in-law to come with his saw and wedges to cut me out. Was emabarassing, I mean, would be embarassing if it ever happened.;) It was windy that day, yeah, that's it....

You make a good point Ed. If you've only got one saw, you might invest in a second bar and chain so if the first one gets hung up, you can take off the powerhead, put on the second bar and chain and cut yourself out. It could save you leaving a hung up tree somewhere overnight.

Jeff

Shazam.... That is a going point Jeff. Seriously, I never even thought of doing that. That is why I am designing cell phones during the day and not using my saw for a living.....

That's what I can tell the wife, the 24" bar that is coming in the mail is for safety.

Ed

Taking the powerhead off of a hung up bar also protects the saw when the tree falls. Not that I've ever had a bar pinched or anything...

You make a good point Ed. If you've only got one saw, you might invest in a second bar and chain so if the first one gets hung up, you can take off the powerhead, put on the second bar and chain and cut yourself out. It could save you leaving a hung up tree somewhere overnight.

Jeff

I was wondering how many of you Fellers, prepare your bars for easier removal by grinding out the back meat of the bar to make removing the powerhead easier/quicker.
Also ever had to break a chain with a wedge to do so? :angry:

Back