Chainsaw timber framing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good guys. All you need now is a lot more trees, time, and a sawmill!
We have tons of trees, the retired guys have nothing but time. And man o' man! Id love to have a mill up there. We used a lot of steel brackets for strength, but the coolest is my uncles best bud is a real craftsman he notched and chisled the resesses out for the strut braces. His mallet is made out of leather, I thought the mallet was the coolest. Raising the ridge beam was wild, wish we had photos of that part. Jim, cool video.

Last edited:
I like the timber frame raising video's as much as the next guy, but I really like the ones that show you how and why. The second hour of that one I posted gets into some cool tricks and the how and why mortise and tenons are done like they are.

Traditional timber framing definitely has its place. If I were to do it I would have to be retired or plan on working on it till I am retired. The use of different brackets and fasteners definitely speed the process along. We built our addition on our hunt camp using a mix of many different building techniques. Jointery was much easier incorporating different styles.

I don't think the joints are all that difficult or time consuming with the right tooling, but erecting the structure without a crane scares the bejezus out of me.

I also worry about doing all the milling, and end cuts, only to assemble it months later and not have stuff fit.

I've been using computers since 1988, BBS's since '92, and the interwebs since `94. I clicked on them. They pull up a shadow box with a bunch of lines and no larger image.

It's either an IE11 bug, or a forum bug. I can't get any of your pics to work, and other threads have been wonky as well. I haven't tried another browser yet though.

These were all downloaded pictures my brother took. I will post some that I took and hopefully you can open them. Who knows what happens to pictures when they go through the internet filters. I just won't have pictures of me cutting!

I don't think the joints are all that difficult or time consuming with the right tooling, but erecting the structure without a crane scares the bejezus out of me.

I also worry about doing all the milling, and end cuts, only to assemble it months later and not have stuff fit.

No electricity up there (unless we bring up the generator), the walls (12' X 27') weigh just under 1,000 lbs and we levered them up, then finish with a hand crank rope come along. I'll post some more pictures.

Got an error message about "file too large" after 3 pics, will try again.

Attachments

• Thor31010 004.jpg
    Thor31010 004.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Thor31010 005.jpg
    Thor31010 005.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Thor31010 006.jpg
    Thor31010 006.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 93
I guess I can only do one picture at a time w/o error. Finally, would not let me show about 6 pics!

Sorry, I would love to post more pictures, but it keeps telling me they are too large. Go figure. Took them with my cell phone.

The left & right walls have 4-12' posts and a 27' beam on top (all 6.5" X 6.5") the Ridge Beam is 3" X 9.5" X 27' and is on 17" posts front and back. 4-20' Cross Beams will provide support for the loft, which will be 9' high in the middle and 4 1/2' high at the walls. The cabin will be one clear room 20 X 24 with 1.5' overhangs on front & back.

Mine should be pretty easy, just an enclosure inside a concrete floored pole building.

The outer 'beams' are 6x6 spaced ~7.5 foot on center.

Should be able to find a few 30 footers for the headers. Notch them for the beams and dowel them or just nail cleats under them?

22' out to uprights of 16 to 20 inch white ash.

Square up one end and leave the exposed natural on the 22 foot spans, 22'x30' ought to be just right for working on a vehicle eh?

Got a boatload of 5/4s, enough to have a really nice mezz up above.

Sachsmo, there are nicer more expensive devices out there.....but that beam machine paid for its self 100 time over. We used some pretty stout angle iron with 5/8th carriage bolts grade 8 to attach along with about a 1/4th inch notch. I took a old row boat trailer and shortened it and gusseted and welded like every seam. Attached it to my pops kawasaki 400 4x4 to skid the logs to our "landing zone" If your gonna be moving 30 footers, you better get one end off the ground so id doesn't just dig in. Sounds like your gonna have fun, oh yeah after getting the frame up I joked to the old guys that were gonna have to build one of these in my back yard next for a car shop : )

My Uncle and Pops and there pal Harold were the brains of the operation. MustangMike can fill you in on the particulars of the angle iron. Id guess they were 6inch and 3/8 thick. The only thing my brain did was build a log trailer, looked in a northern tool catalog to get a picture of something then tried to engineer a picture in my mind out of that old trailer. Ive been known to say " A MILLERMATIC is a beautiful thing".

Mike, Matt, I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but when you get rolling again please keep the pics coming. I'm sure there are a bunch of us wanting to do the same thing, Joe.

Sorry I have not posted here for a while, my e-mail stopped notifying me of activity. I'll try to post the pictures of where we left off. Basically, the timbers are up. We were rushed because the site work was not done until Oct and winter was coming. This place is 2.5 hours from home. The ridge beam is 3" X 9.5" X 27'. The Ridge Beam posts are 17' to the bottom of the Ridge Beam.

Attachments

• Jan2014 004.jpg
    Jan2014 004.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Back