Chainsaw timber framing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
The reason the .404 x 8 works is because of the radial length of the ported grooves of the rim. (would never work with a spur) It basically never engages more than one driver at a time, whereas normal engagement is say 3 drivers at a time. Take your saw, and get it to the edge of your bench so that it will allow the chain to hang straight down. Have the rim so the open ports are facing you. Now roll the chain back and forth. It'll be smooth as silk, no climbing or pushing of the chain. If you look close as it rolls, you'll see that really only 1 driver is engaged at a time.
The reason that PMX is so high is because there's only one game in town, and they know it.
You can get around the picco bar tips by using a hardnose bar, and a helper handle with a roller
Regards
Gregg

But that will put all the stress on one driver/link, on a picco/lo pro chain, that will be used on a 90+cc saw.

How come woodland lo pro 3/8 ripping chain is NLA?

Howdy,
As far as I know, (no high speed photography) you're right about all the stress on one link. I've seen chains run this way, and it doesn't damage the drive links. As far as breakage goes, I don't have any solid information on the ratio. Of course I've seen more breakage using standard 3/8 rims but, that has to be because way more people are using them.
You'll be seeing quite a few of the Woodland PRO / Carlton chains going away. You can thank Blount for that.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
As far as I know, (no high speed photography) you're right about all the stress on one link. I've seen chains run this way, and it doesn't damage the drive links. As far as breakage goes, I don't have any solid information on the ratio. Of course I've seen more breakage using standard 3/8 rims but, that has to be because way more people are using them.
You'll be seeing quite a few of the Woodland PRO / Carlton chains going away. You can thank Blount for that.
Regards
Gregg

Thank you Gregg,

I should have stocked up on chains longs ago, the price of sprockets and bars were worse. I am set on picco 3003 bars and the 3/8 picco rims I had made up.

I have some friends in Europe that might be able to send me some "care" packages of PMX chains.

Latest posts

Back