chainsaws vs. guns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you rather

• Total voters
Love my chainsaws, but love my guns more. I will never part with my 9mm or AK-47. I am pretty fond of my 10/22 as well. I would post a couple of pictures but I just remembered I lost all of my guns in a boating accident.

Last edited:
it is rumoured that the 30-30 has killed more moose than all other calibers combined.

as for deer? I'm sure they quit counting years ago....

I'd worry about pissing a moose off with a 30-30.... Beyond 50-100 yards I doubt that caliber will break a rib bone, let alone a shoulder hit. Now, if you had said 45-70, then that is believable.

if you dont use it, you lose it

just like with certain fun adult activities, "if you dont use it you lose it." And seeing as guns are a right given to us by our fourfathers, we need to keep the guns. if we dont use the right, we'll eventually lose it. now if their was something in the constitution about the right to own chainsaws id say keep them too. but i think chainsaws are something hippy libs wont incessantly try to take away. I happen to be a collector of both (federally licensed for guns). i have well over an "i lost count" number of guns and 10 or 12 chainsaws. but when its comes down to the nitty gritty, if some one comes forcefully into my house and says that "chainsaws are outlawed, you need to turn them in", they can have them. if they come in and say "we want your guns". i know for damned sure i have a lot more firepower (usually right on my hip, ankle and under my arm all at the same time) than any two or three man gun control confiscation team will have on them. not to mention my 10s of thousands of rounds all waiting for them, and the 10 or 15 strategically located through the house cocked and locked full size colt 1911s (and a few m4s and aks) thatll be pointed right at them.

so in short, as william wallace might say "they can take our chainsaws. but they'll never take... OUR GUNS!!!" they can have them when they pry em from my dead fingers.

who says you cant play with guns and saws at the same time

oh, and as for the moose thing, i have an old timer friend who is getting weaker in his old days. always has a little tanaka ecs320 with a 12 inch bar with him when he hunts hanging from his pack. this year, he got his moose (and yes it was a winchester model 94, 30-30), and just cut it up so he could take it to the truck one piece at a time. his wife made him a nice little nylon canvas wrap around sachel, so he can run the saw without getting it covered in goopy moose. (they were some great steaks though, let me tell ya)

ya, i usually post alot on various gun forums as guns were my first love, so it may or may not have gotten a little heated for such a newbie here. i am on here alot but usually only looking for answers more then to contribute as you can see with how low my posts are...

im on those, as well as lugerforum, p38forum, and a proud new hampshire gun owners one ( dont talk much, basically just schedule "open carry" highway clean ups, or cook outs, field day party's yadda yadda. those a blast though (no pun intended) its funny seeing open carry three legged races and egg tosses thats for sure. the best part is theres a guy who always has full size ar15 on his back, and when hes the bottom part in a wheelbarrow race, he never leaves it with a clean muzzle. (i dont know if wheelbarrow races are just a new england thing, i see your from maine, but for other people, its when some one hold the feet of some one front of them. tand the front person walks on their hands, you can just picture the ar-15 sliding off his shoulder into the dirt every 4 or 5 steps) its a riot

Last edited:
I'd worry about pissing a moose off with a 30-30.... Beyond 50-100 yards I doubt that caliber will break a rib bone, let alone a shoulder hit. Now, if you had said 45-70, then that is believable.

I've seen several taken with the 30-30. Yes, within a 100 yards and they worked quite well. Perhaps not my first choice but, worked none the less.

Christopher,

Come on out and let me educate you on the "greatest round ever designed"!!!
There is a reason, and a very good one, that the 30-30 is still one of the most popular selling rounds in the world after over a hundred years.

I would take my old Savage model 99 lever action with 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber and hunt anything on this continent.
Remember, "it's not the noise or the smoke, it's the hits that count.

Mike

Why is it...

No one would ever suggest that a 30-06 with a 165 can kill a moose, probably go right through the rib cage, at say 400-475yds...
I know many guys who'd take the shot with a good rest! Moose are a big target. put the crosshairs on the hump... drop it into the lungs.

YET the same "Hunters" slam the ol' TurdyTurdy with a 170gr bullet at 100yds.....
170Gr bullet 2200fps muzzle velocity gives supersonic to 400 yards. 1000ft/lbs to 200 yards.
a 30-06 averages just over 1000ft/lbs around the 475yd mark...
it doesn't get better with the 308Win.

Tell me the difference? yeah... I know.. 200 yards and dead moose.
1000ft/lbs is enough to break the shoulder, and penetrate to vitals. Moose die easy.

with Moose, a 30-30 is a 200 yd gun.

+1 Mike. Still my favorite (for hunting anyway).
I don't know about where you are but a 100 yard shot is about as far as you can see (brush/tall grass).
My neighbour took a big black bear with his 30-30 a few years ago and I was told many years ago that the 30-30 has taken more white tail then any other cartridge.
I had a beat up Winchester 94 standard when I was a kid and I shot it 'till it fell apart! It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it was shooting out better then 200 yards.

Latest posts

Back