Changing from d176 to d009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efisher26

Tinkerer
Reaction score
Ive heard of spring kits and brakeline spacers, but I can get this steel stock, 3/8i.d. Is it too thick?
0bc9f21cb822282c5a36712776193c4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm told 3/8 brakeline works, but the spring kit is thicker, plus I can file to flatten spots also

To make a D009 bar fit on D176 bar bolts, the spacers should be about 8 mm inner diameter and 9 mm outer, based on the nominal measurements - but I would measure the actual items involved before doing anything.

Anyway, what is pictured is way too large and thick - and I suspect "S-clip" adapters are more practical than rings with a difference as small as in this case - as you will have troble finding something suitable to cut rings from. Finding a halv mm or so thick metal plate to cut a suitable strip from likely is easier, and then bend it into shape?

So IF the studs are 3/8, and I file down the stock tube I showed, it SHOULD work, make it a good tight (but moveable) fit. I almost thought about same stock in aluminum but wasn't sure what beating it can take

So that's the first pic that helps a lot, it's less then a mm gap difference...

That is great Chris. What was that flat metal from?

Recoil spring?
It's a stainless strip from an old wiper blade - they're all a bit different. I remove them before throwing out the blades.

This one was still just a little too thick so I had to sand it down slightly.

That's exactly what the S clipsdo except they are shaped as an S.
I was going to make an S but realized it would hit the bar plate screw on this saw.

Brilliant

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Yes - and the actual shape may depend on which "obstacles" are present between the bar studs on the saw in question.
I've collected quite a few on old Poulan 3400's I've bought in the past. Guess previous owners liked the D009 mount though I do recall seeing them on some other manuf. bars whose names escape me right now.

I've collected quite a few on old Poulan 3400's I've bought in the past. Guess previous owners liked the D009 mount though I do recall seeing them on some other manuf. bars whose names escape me right now.
Yes, it is far from a new idea - it was quite common a few decades ago, then in factory form.

Back