Changing wedge from cylinder to foot on Speeco 25 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've finally started getting ready to cut up my Speeco 25 ton splitter. I bought it a couple of years ago and it has spent very little time here because everyone is always borrowing it. I was gonna build my own but after getting some prices I couldn't beat TSC new sale price. So now I'm cutting it up and changing things around to what I want, when I get it right it'll be a prototype for a custom built more powerful one ( if I get the time) . I had a local machine shop build me a wedge and because the guy "knew" what I wanted I ended up with something I didn't ready want but sowhat I will use it somewhere. Lesson learned just build it yourself instead of trying to save some time and pay a "professional" to build it. I am changing it to a foot mounted wedge so it will dump the splits onto my conveyor instead of having to throw each piece onto it. This should speed up the splitting abit. This will also make it easier to add a 4 way wedge onto it. The wide wedge is 12"high, 9" long and 4" at the wide point, don't ready need a wide point because the next piece will push it all the way thru anyway. The other wedge I built is 15" high, 7" deep and 1 1/4" at wide end. Anybody have an opinion on which wedge would work better for my application? The last pic is where I plan on cutting the foot off and welding on the new wedge. If it don't work I'll just sell it and buy another one.

View attachment 268087View attachment 268088View attachment 268089

I would use the 11/4" wedge. I put wings on mine on the back and wish It was straight. a work table off the end is real handy.

This has been discuessed multi times I think and the end result was thinner wedge was better because even if it didnt pop it apart you can always cut/sheer through it.:rock:

A thinner wedge would be the one thing I would change on my tw6. Then I might be able to use the 6 way more often without making so much trash.

I'm thinking thinner is better too and that's what I wanted the welding shop to build. It seemed pretty simple to me, take a piece of 1" thick x 10"x10" piece of steel and mill a cutting bevel on it. I'll be putting a table on each side that goes past the wedge abit to hold up pieces that need to be resplit. The 4 way will slip over the top and be a loose fit so it's on and off easy.

Last edited:
It splits nice and it's much quicker than having to handle every split piece. I sheared thru some really tough stuff just to see if the welds would break. Cut them clean but made the splitter work. Next on the list is to rig up some type of rod to make the lever into kind of an automatic valve. That'll likely take me a year too.

Nice welds! So which style of wedge do you like best?

The push plate might be a little overkill but I only wanted to take the time to build it once. I've bent the bolts but at least they are easy to replace. I picked up Grade 8 bolts to replace them with but changed my mind. The last few pics are of the storm downed poplar from my lawn. I cut them for my OWB and split them vertically on that splitter just to see if it would work.
View attachment 313512View attachment 313513View attachment 313514View attachment 313515View attachment 313516

The narrow wedge works great on pieces that only need split in half but if you need to split it into 4 pieces it has to go all the way thru the cycle to split so you can pull it back for the 2nd split. Takes a little more time for that. Still a lot quicker than the wedge on the foot.

Do you mean it's faster than having the plate at foot of rail and wedge on ram?

Thanks

Back