Changing wheel on 4012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoker62

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to install a new wheel on my 4012. I cant find any directions on how to do it. Any help out there ???

Loosen Jack shaft bearings and slide forward. Take off drive belt. Take off drive bushing by removing screws and putting them back into the extra screw holes that weren't being used. Evenly torque screws to pop the bushing off the shaft. If you have a new type of bushing you will only do this with one screw. Now you can loosen your cutter wheel bearings and drop the wheel and shaft. If I were you I would go ahead and replace the cutter wheel bearings, so cut the old ones off change your wheel put on new bearings and slap it back together

Any way to save the bearings ? mine are supposedly 80 hrs old.

Yes you have to take it to a machine shop and have them pressed off. You are going to love the Alpine Rhino wheel period I just put one on my 5014 which is basically the same machine as yours. It is a night and day difference. Do you have any questions you can give me a call at 772-631-6211. I just change my wheel out 2 weeks ago

Thanks, sounds like a pain in the but. How long did it take you ? Mat just drop itvat dealer an hr away. Im so busy at work and have some stump jobs. Just no time right now tovswap it. But i guess i waste 4 hrs dropping it off and picking it up too

It is definitely not easy if it is your first time doing it. But it is good to learn being that you will have to change bearings in the future. I would call the dealer and ask them what they will charge and make your decision on that. It took me about a day

Dealer wanted 800 to change . I did it myself and reused the bearings . Keith at Alpine Rhino gave me a tip on getting them off and it worked like a charm. Still a dirty job but it saved me 800. Love the Rhino wheel as you stated. Got 1000 dollar job lined up for it today.

My nephew down in Fl just bought the Toro 36 ? , has green teeth and so far he likes it too.

Dealer wanted 800 to change . I did it myself and reused the bearings . Keith at Alpine Rhino gave me a tip on getting them off and it worked like a charm. Still a dirty job but it saved me 800. Love the Rhino wheel as you stated. Got 1000 dollar job lined up for it today.

My nephew down in Fl just bought the Toro 36 ? , has green teeth and so far he likes it too.
please let me know what the tip is to getting the bearings off!!???????

please let me know what the tip is to getting the bearings off!!???????
1075 in 7 hrs, not a terrible day. I'm sure it was a tip to me but not a tip to most. Pull the pillow block set screws one at a time and drill into the shaft about a 1/16'. Blow it out real good with air and shoot in some deep creep or the like. Removes the set screw burr that will lock up the bearing sliding off.5/16 bit fits perfect and doesn't damage the hardened threads of the collar.
Keith at AR has been great to deal with. Very helpfull.

So you mean that you just loosen the set screws and pulled the bearings right off? You got extremely lucky if so, I've never heard of anybody being able to do that. I love the rhino wheel, I can't believe more people aren't using it. I cut my grinding time almost in half with it

After drilling out the shaft under each set screw, and a little light tapping, it was free. I had to use a bearing puller to get past the end but just a very light pull. Some emery cloth to clean up the exposed shaft and they slid off pretty easy. Remember , mine were only 80 hrs or so old. Not happy about having to buy 440 dollar bearing set when you want to change a wheel. But I guess you shouldn't be changing g them too often.

Latest posts

Back