Chap Repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquared

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just paid the careless tax.

I leaned against a log splitter muffler and melted a few layers of the knee of my safety chaps.

Does anyone out there know of a place that repairs chaps? Or have a piece of a chap that had likewise sacrificed itself ...hopefully for something more honorable than a muffler burn. It would need to be about 5" by 10"for good overlap.

Thanks,

I think if you go to Madsens web site and look at their test of chaps you will see that they dont recommend using or repairing chaps that have had the protective layers damaged.

alderman: I'd buy a new pair and patch up the old pair for use with the weed eater
+1 thats what I did, I weedeat in shorts with my chaps on most of the time, keeps the rocks from eatin up my legs.

if you have melted the top layer all the way thru to the kevlar fibres then there is some chance that small lumps or blobs of melted plastic fibre intrude into the that space and if a cut occurs in the vicinity the kevlar fibres might not flow freely and block the chain. Likewise any patching has to ensure it does not snag fibres so that they flow freely if a cut occurs. It's not worth especially since it $60 gets you a new pair.

Got to agree with wheelman, Roy M, smokinj, alderman, and BobL (and others?).

I you just damaged the outer layer, it's probably OK to duct tape or sew a patch. Once you hit the protective fibers, you have compromised the protection. The full length of the fibers are needed to wind up in the sprocket and stall out the saw.

The USFS article gatkeper1 referenced is interesting, but old. It's also surprising that they would recommend repairing the protective layer after starting out noting that that a worker was hurt while wearing chaps because they were not maintained appropriately.

Get yourself a new pair, and mail the old ones to someone here on A.S. who wants to make another video showing how chaps work / don't work: maybe this time using an electric saw?

Philbert

I just bought a new pair - Bailey's $51 (IIRC just trashed the bill yesterday). My old one had no major damage other than the "crotch" was ripped clear up to the waist band. Lots of snags in the covering due to brush. No saw cuts that I am aware of. It would be a "serviceable" set with some heavy sewing.

Anyone want it for anything? I'll even pay the postage.

Harry K

Chaps repair

Some chaps repair is OK.

Buckle replacement for instance.

------------

The outer fabric provides no real protection from the saw. If it needs to be repaired and the interior protective fabric (Kevlar - ballistic nylon or whatever) has no damage it is possible to repair those chaps.

Make sure:
1) That you do not sew through the layers as any restriction of their movement will compromise the ability of the chaps to have their kevlar etc. torn free where it can gum up the sprocket and stop the saw.
2) Take the chaps apart enough to replace the damaged outer layer.
3) Make sure that the chaps are clean - don't use unapproved chemicals - chlorine for instance will damage kevlar significantly.
4) The outer layer to be replaced should be great at restricting dirt/grime/oil from going into the protective fabric. If the kevlar etc gets gummed together it will not flow as easily to the sprocket.

I had a problem too...

The spot up on the left leg started with Hoss's McCulloch 73, flywheel cover spins and if you rest the saw on you leg it will rub a hole in your chaps, jeans, or whatever you rest it against. The fibers underneath weren't damaged so I went the route of duct tape. Of course with a little use the duct tape came loose (you can see it hanging in the photo). If you've ever run one of the older McCulloch saws (840 in this case) the cylinder is horizontal and the exhaust is in the rear on the bar side. If you use your leg/hip to help push the saw once you dog it in making the felling cuts, the exhaust is directed right towards your leg, just happened to be the same spot that the 73 rubbed the cover off, and the exhaust melted a hole all the way through.

Earlier in the project I took a step back and relaxed my arms before the chain stopped spinning and just touched the right leg, as you can see.

Seems to be time for a new set of chaps here as well.

I will hang on to these for an upcoming GTG in case someone wants to make another demo.

Mark

These chaps have done their job...

attachment.php

The first spot is visible here as I wrestle with Hoss's 990G. It was the 73 that did the deed however.

attachment.php

I just paid the careless tax.

I leaned against a log splitter muffler and melted a few layers of the knee of my safety chaps.

Does anyone out there know of a place that repairs chaps? Or have a piece of a chap that had likewise sacrificed itself ...hopefully for something more honorable than a muffler burn. It would need to be about 5" by 10"for good overlap.

Thanks,

you dont repair chaps you replace them. If they are damaged they have done their job and saved your A.. Time for some new ones.

Overlap in chaps repair

"It would need to be about 5" by 10"for good overlap."

To provide the amount of overlap you actually need (to have the needed material to gum up the sprocket) you need feet of overlap. Not inches.

Realistically, cheaper to buy a new pair rather than rebuild most of one leg.

===============

Turning things inside out can help your mind feel better but it will not work for your body.

The response was about what I figured:

Since safety is the issue, do it right and buy new ones :agree2:

Thanks to all- interesting ,time to go chap shopping.

This is really a very informative thread. I found so many nice advices here. thanks for sharing. And the link is also very helpful to me.

Latest posts

Back