Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought me a new pair of saw chaps. My first pair.
I plan to start wearing them on leaners and mostly while in the tree. I think they will save my knees.
Who else wears saw chaps while climbing the trees??.
Cheers.

I have when I was cold, but normally, I would not. On the ground, I almost always (striving towards 100%) wear chaps with a chainsaw. That's when the biggest risk is and the ANSI requirement.

icon14.gif
Thumbs up on wearing them in a tree; it's a safe move.

I have a pair but dont were them much. Let us know how they work for you in the tree. I dont think I could manuver very well in mine up in a tree.

I climb with Husky fallers pants, have to, sub for a big logging co. leg protection, h-hat w/muffs and screen, caulks, whistle, hi-vis shirt and so on. I like to climb in t-shirt and jeans but, hey, wears caulks and climbs with spurs? Awesome, regs say-"workers required to walk on felled timber shall wear caulk boots" I would laugh to see someone up here with those little spurless climbing boots walking around in the slash and logs. If you get cut running an 020 it will be in the arms, shoulders or face or hands, not your legs very often. But thats the deal, same stuff as the fallers.

clearance said:
But thats the deal, same stuff as the fallers.

I read somewhere that the body part most injured by chainsaws is the left thigh, followed by left shoulder/chest area. The first from inatentiveness and the second to kickback.

Think you would be a lot more comfortable with a pair of chain saw pants when in a tree-most chaps I have seen are pretty stiff, and have the added problem of buckles, belts, and whatever to get hung up on limbs. A cotton/poly pair of pants is not much heavier than a pair of jeans.

I'll often wear chaps during large takedowns. If i think i'll be doing a fair amount of cutting w/ a large saw while aloft then i find the extra security to be worth while. And the added bonus; they keep your legs from being scraped up and keep you warm in the winter....

I always wear chainsaw pants. Cotton covered ones for climbing, nylon covered for the days I will spend in the bucket and on the ground. I have chaps for my ground people, and I will admit I WILL NOT use them to climb. The reason being is they don't fit well (roll, turn and slide up) plus the ones I have are nylon covered, so they are slippery.

Stihl Summer Logger Pants

These are nice to wear but the quality is not that good. They last about 3 months. They are comfortable but extremely hot in the summertime.

Last edited:
I've got some chaps myself, but I don't put them on if I'm just making a few cuts like cutting a chunk of limb laying on a lawn into a few pieces.

That would be a bit like a chef wearing a catchers mit and a few wraps of scarf to avoid stabbing himself in the the face or the neck when cutting up some beef or a bird prior to cooking.

Chaps are great, but I think the recommendations sometimes leave judgement in the dust.

The injury stats and charts don't really tell us who got the injuries and how it came to be that they got the injuries.

I really scratch my head over the injury thing.

If you don't have your face behind the chain and bar, and if you are not cutting downward toward your feet and legs, how on earth would you cut yourself?

If there is a jumbled pile of limbs, that's understandable; that the chain would snag a limb or a twig would bend into the path of the chain. But for chainsaw use - say bucking 40 feet worth of 16" diameter trunk into firewood; who is it that cuts themself; how is it that they cut themselves?

To me, it would be like a chef cutting upward at his face instead of slicing down onto a butcher block.

HOw about them leaners? Got to save the knees could have used them years ago,.

I put the chaps on yesterday and climbed both for warmth and to give chap climbing a wirl. I am sold on them. easier on the knees, a fealing of safety, and I didn't notice any changes in movement or flexibility.

So Chap up!

Latest posts

Back