Chasing the 50cc Holy Grail !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mutt power head weights exactly 10.5 lbs (I just drained off the oil tank but did not wash it out) this is compete including bar nuts. Others that have weighed there 346 head are saying 11.3 lbs dry. Power on the 260 is a muffler issue and carb issue if it has the fixed jet carb. We all know the 346 is runner and a good handling saw, a little faster and a little heaver then the 026 I'd be happy with either of them.

The right tool in the right hands at the right time...... "My kingdom for a horse"

I've been told by several saw builders that the older 44mm 026 cylinder has a more "agressive" port timing. So it makes more power than the 44.7mm ms260 cylinder. Of course the muffler is choaked off too...

I plan on using the beer can and yamabond to seat a 44mm pro (decomp) cylinder on my ms260 with the muff mod seen above and a wt194 carb all dialed in... My guess is that it won't be far behind that 346xp and even if it is... I only have $160 in mine with 20in stihl bar and chain.

Your design dose not look to me like you'd get enough bounce off the baffle the exhaust gas will just flow around it IMO (read loud). I'd use more of a box on edge design (see drawing and I'd size the exit port at no more then 80% of the cylinder exhaust port. Think it terms of how most chamber mufflers are made they really force the sound wave to bounce around. The problem with the Stihl can is it's small and does not allow much room for chambering inside. The Husky 50cc mufflers have a very large can with more room / options to play with. In stock form they are both quieter and less restrictive then the Stihl design.

muff.JPG

B/c I have a little extra time this is my idea so far on the 260 muffler (3mins in MS paint... LOL)

260mufflerdesign.jpg

You can see in the side view that I'm going to use a diamond shape baffel to direct the gas up or down out of the cylinder (idea to bounce the sound but not disturb flow that much). That diamond shape baffle will run the full width of the muffler being mig welded in to the rear 1/2 of the muffler.

2nd concern is the external "waffel baffel" (blue on side view). Cut it off entirely...

3rd: just for fun close and flush off the origional holes (blue on front view: right).

4th: create new rectangular horizontal hole (right-red) to match how the new "V" shapped baffle makes the muffler flow.

5th: make a new external deflector to direct exiting gas flow down ward.

Your design dose not look to me like you'd get enough bounce off the baffle the exhaust gas will just flow around it IMO (read loud). I'd use more of a box on edge design (see drawing and I'd size the exit port at no more then 80% of the cylinder exhaust port. Think it terms of how most chamber mufflers are made they really force the sound wave to bounce around. The problem with the Stihl can is it's small and does not allow much room for chambering inside. The Husky 50cc mufflers have a very large can with more room / options to play with. In stock form they are both quieter and less restrictive then the Stihl design.

yeah I might go more "BOX" and less "diamond." Hell I migh just add a "V" shape and diverting the gas initally and then let the gas swirl and make it's way out... My concern is 80% power and flow... I have a helmet with ear muffs so sound isn't a huge concern for me... I'm just adding the baffle b/c I want to play with it. Either way you want to look at it, it'll have way better flow and still be less dB's than a hollow muffler (which is always an option!).

ok just because I am curious... what is the real power and weight difference between the two saws (260 vs346)? I've seen some numbers before but I'm curious what the PHO weighs on either side and what the stock HP ratings are...???

I thought the 346 was lighter???

346xp = 3.7HP stock 11lbs PHO
026 = 3.5HP stock 10.4lbs PHO
260 = 3.2HP stock 10.6lbs PHO

IS all this right? Anyone want to confirm/correct??? I tried to pull from factory manuals online...

The hp number is just a snapshot of one point of the power curve (the max hp rpm), and is just a vague pointer to what to expect. Despite those numbers aren't so different, the difference is much larger in practical cutting. :msp_wink:

why is it the 026/260 can be found much cheaper than the 346 ?

A nice clean 260 will bring around the same money as a used 346, the 026 has been around a long time (introduced in 1993) so there are a lot of them out there which means you can find deals if you keep an eye out.

The hp number is just a snapshot of one point of the power curve (the max hp rpm), and is just a vague pointer to what to expect. Despite those numbers aren't so different, the difference is much larger in practical cutting. :msp_wink:

That's some funny stuff there! Considering what you say about other saws hp ratings, to rule them out as good saws.

Gg

Latest posts

Back