Cheap 070 in australia (NSW)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get that one. It looks as if it is a bit of a cross between a Contra and the 070. It has the wider spaced fins on the starter housing, has the red bucking spikes, and also has an ID plate fitted to the flywheel housing ?

I know little about these model Stihl's - any thoughts on the saw are appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

I am sure you will find that the saw is a Contra that has lost it's original cover.
The givaways are no choke pull, no decomp,and no rear cover support and the rear handle is a Contra one. I have seen 070's that have ended up with red dogs.
If I am correct your next stop should be to talk to Gumnuts as he has found Contra covers before and is a great guy with heaps of knowledge.

I am sure you will find that the saw is a Contra that has lost it's original cover.
The givaways are no choke pull, no decomp,and no rear cover support and the rear handle is a Contra one. I have seen 070's that have ended up with red dogs.
If I am correct your next stop should be to talk to Gumnuts as he has found Contra covers before and is a great guy with heaps of knowledge.

Dave, I had noticed some hickups too, but I am not so sure.

- there seems to be a choke pull
- the handle is of a contra.
- the starter looks like an early contra
- the plug location is on top of the cylinder, which makes is an 070 jug.
- it's possible the decomp is removed/closed.
- the muffler is 070

it has frankensaw marks all over it, but I think it's still an 070.

I picked up the saw today and yes - It definitely is a Frankensaw (for the time being).

It is an old Contra saw - has the ID plate 1106 - engine number etc on the flywheel cover, it has the same matching number on the casing - on the guide bar side, it has the muffler which has the top cover clip arrangement on it ( for the original contra cover ), and the fuel tank also has the clip retainer for the cover clips as well. It has the original bar ( i believe ) - stamped 1106 etc with the original stihl logo which is a good thing.

What I can gather has happened is that the original cylinder ass'y has failed, and that an 070 cylinder has been fitted to the saw. The decompression valve fitting has been plugged up - hence the reason why it is missing in the photo's. The air intake for the carby has been retrofitted to the 070 type as well.

All in all a bit all over the place - it needs an original Contra type cylinder, top cover, and air intake to get it looking back to what it should.

I am assuming that spare parts for these Contra saws are pretty hard to come by (?), so this one may end up as a parts saw. In its current guise, the saw has plenty of compression and seems to run pretty well, so will leave it as is until I either find a nice example of another large Stihl, or maybe the parts required to rebuild this one.

Regards,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back