cheap pole saw poles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Being on a low budget and trying to maximize profit, I try to save $$ on equipment wherever I can do so safely. I have never been a big fan of expensive fiberglass polesaw handles and eveyone I know that uses them has a few broken ones in the corner of the shop. I guess they are too expensive to throw out even after they break! (kinda like old Stihl 020T's)

I have had excellent service out of homemade poles, using 1 1/4" dowel rod from Home Depot at $.92 per foot. The ferrule ends fit snugly without shaving also.

You need a couple rags (old socks work great), fine grit sandpaper, #00 steel wool and some polyurethane. Pick out a straight dowel rod with few or no knots, sand lightly to remove any splinters or loose edges. I use an old sock to paint a coat of polyurethane on and let it dry. Apply 3 coats, sanding with steel wool between coats but not after the final coat. Be sure to seal the ends well, they will soak up more. Mark and drill your holes for your ferrules, or shave one end to directly mount your polesaw head.

I just made an 8' pole for my new BigShot, cost was $19. The ferrules are available at Sherrill's for $11 each. Or you can scavenge the old ones off your broken fiberglass poles. ;)

Great idea Brian. I have sawn off the the fiber glass polls when the break is close to the end and reattached the ferrule. And I have used a broken one to make a 3 or 4 footer. sometimes that makes it "just the right length" when in a tree (the one with the prunner attached plus the 4 footer)If you go ahead and spend the bucks on the core filled ones, they almost never break. The only time I have had one of those break is when a greenie feed it to a truck tire. When the boss started buying those cheap @ss hollow polls is when they started breaking.

Just remember to keep it away from power lines. The steel wool particles may conduct electricity.:eek:

i guarantee dirty pourous wood conducts better than a fiberglass pole, but like your idea anyway. We used to get ash ones locally long ago for the same thing. Though i though that the filled fiberglass where lighter, when we finally flipped for'em.

Hey 165!

I'm all for scavenging and making do. But there are times when it's either false economy or unsafe. Using a wooden pole for the Big Shot is VERY dangerous!!! You risk having the top of the pole break off and hit you, probably in the head. Take the money you saved making up dowel poles and buy a fiberglass one for the Big Shot.

Look at the instructions for the Big Shot and you'll find that you must use the 'glass pole.

Tom

I hear ya, Tom. I have used both types and found that in real-life use the wood poles hold up better to daily bumps and abuse. When used properly, the pull from the BigShot on the pole is in line with the pole. I'm more worried about nicking the rubber tubing than the pole breaking. The integrity of the wood pole is not an issue for me.

We were just talking about how since we stoped using wood poles, we haven't broken a fiberglass pole yet, and it's been several years.
Actually, we have one section with a bad ferrule.
Anyway, I don't miss the wood.
I bigshot with a hollow core 8 foot section, it seems safe to me, don't use wood.

Not 'if', but 'when' a groundie steps on or drops a saw on a pole laying on the ground, I can still safely use a wooden pole. Even the hollow fiberglass poles, at twice the cost of my wooden pole, can be easily cracked causing sudden collapse under pressure with little warning. Sure, the $50 poles would be nice and even a couple ounces lighter, I was simply suggesting a SAFE and economical alternative.

I believe the makers of the BigShot must have signed into some type of deal with Jameson, so of course they will say Jameson poles are required.

ALL poles should be inspected frequently for splintering and cracks. Wooden poles are easily and cheaply replaced, fiberglass poles require buying new poles at $40-$50 each.

So, now you think that there is a conspiracy between Sherrill and Jameson? Is this from the X-Files?

If the wooden pole breaks, you're on your own. This follows along the same path as using a climbing line for lowering. If a manufacturer says in the literature to follow the instructions and you don't, tough luck. Maybe wood is fine, maybe not...With the strain that the BS puts on my glass pole I would never think of using a wooden pole. I did use a piece of 1.25" thick wall EMT for a while. My heirs know that I don't wear Teflon clothing, responsibility sticks to me.

Tom

Hey JPS...
when you use a 6+4=10' pole for the BS.. do you have to stand on your tippy toes to reach the handle? ... I've put 2- 6s together for xtra long shots in the past.. Hard on the sling and takes 2 guys to gety it up... pole vault effect..
Not only can you get more load on the sling ... I Am already starting from 4' higher than the standard 8.
I just orederred the quick release from Sherrill... Pretty pricy at $45... that is pricy compared to the mfg's cost... not pricy compared to the increased productivity... I hope.
God Bless All,
Daniel

165, I used the closet rods for years with success. You can even make them extendable/adjustable by sleeving them with a piece of plastic pipe(notch the end of the pipe and put a clamp on it so you can lock it off). Several years ago I made the switch to fiberglass and I'll never go back. No splinters. Greater durability. Greater stiffness for long extensions. (I 've been known to assemble 6 sections(@6'each) in order to reach one dead limb rather than climb after it.

Good point Tom, didn't know about the warning.

If y'all insist on continuing on with BS and wood pole, maybe you could at least hold pole as high as possible for best bracing (probably best safety with any pole), and not pull the BS all the way back. Wonder what kind of strength wooden poles have to side bowing as opposed to fiberglass.

i like solid fiberglass myself, especially when ya never know when you will be around an electrical hazard or emergency; for the fewest, flexible, most powerful tools that is my choice. Especially with this warning.

Don't think i could control 6 sections, would rather climb it!

Sounds like JP sleeps with gear, especially in his short 10' bed.

Back