Cheap way to stand up the new chain grinder???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought an Oregon chain grinder w/ hydraulic clamp, and I don't want to drill holes in the work table. Oregon sells a tripod to bolt the grinder onto, but it's over the personal budget.

Anybody have a cheap way to set this up without boring the table out?

The local Husky dealer has theirs mounted on a Sears grinder stand but it is a 30" stand. Works pretty good in spite of the grinder not being at stand up height.

A neighbor has a 2 X 8 lagged to two posts in the pole barn and his USG Stihl grinder is wall mounted to the 2 X 8

I have an entry level Harbor Freight grinder given to me by a friend. :rock: He bolted a short length of 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle to the bottom. Chuck the bottom leg of the angle in the bench vise and plug him in. Dirt simple.

You all can rep. steve316.

Last edited:
I have an entry level Harbor Freight grinder given to me by a friend. :rock: He bolted a short length of 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle to the bottom. Chuck the bottom leg of the angle in the bench vise and plug him in. Dirt simple.

Ya, this one is the best. :msp_biggrin:

That's what I'll do. Gosh, why didn't I think of that? What I was about to do was by a metal based rolling office chair off of craigslist, and take off the seat. Then bolt down on the chair's metal platform. Perfect....but I like this vice idea.

Thanks, Driver.

Both my grinders are mouned on a piece of steel and clamped to the bench vise,makes it nice,i can bring my grinder to work and mount in a vise at work and use there too

I just welded a bit of plate to the top of a piece of square section. Then you clamp it in the bench vice and it provides height adjustment also.

I've recently bought the Stihl FG2 and as I currently don't have a workbench, I bolted it down to a fairly sturdy steel leg sawhorse so I sit on a wooden bench and file chains. Is acceptable for now at least.

Other bonus I suppose is I could fold up the sawhorse and take it with me. But with 4 24" chains and a Pferd handheld tooth/raker file I doubt I will.

My NT grinder is screwed to a scrap of 2x4 that I clamp in my bench vise. I even drilled in the 2x to hold the Allen wrench to change out the wheel.

Another advantage to the angle iron mount is I can drag him in to the laundry tub and give him a wash down with Simple Green and hot water when he gets too crudy with grinding particles. (Keep the motor high and dry!!)

One way we used to mout bench style grinders was to take a tire rim (15" and above) weld an iron pipe in the center hole then a steel plate on top of the iron pipe. Then you mount your grinder to the steel plate. Then whenever you want to move it in the shop just tip it towards you and roll it like you would a barrel.

I have a large vise that is on a tall steel pedestial that is bolted to the floor. I made a wood mount for the grinder and then just chuck up the grinder in the vise. It is at mid chest level so you don't have to bend over. Above the area I had an incadescent light fixture in the cieling. I took that out and put in an adjustable flood light.:clap:

One way we used to mout bench style grinders was to take a tire rim (15" and above) weld an iron pipe in the center hole then a steel plate on top of the iron pipe. Then you mount your grinder to the steel plate. Then whenever you want to move it in the shop just tip it towards you and roll it like you would a barrel.

I make a few almost like that. I used old mobile home brake drums, they have a lot more weight then the rims and can still roll them.

Later
Dan

No money spent on this solution. It's 1 1/4" x 1/8" steel from Home Depot I had on hand. I cut 4 or 5 inches off, drilled the holes........ EZ

20130213_161009_zps330a8163.jpg

20130213_161108_zpsaed78067.jpg

20130213_161027_zps60f4609f.jpg

Back