Cheapest place to buy bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wodering where the cheapest place to buy bar oil is. Local dealere wants 12.95 per gallon for sthl bar oil

autozone has it for $5 something a gallon if you buy 12 gallons(case). Plus they give you $20 back on your autozone card for every $100 you spend.

Walmart does not sell bar oil in my area.

Farm/Fleet sells the poulon around $6/gal, if its on sale, less than $6, not on sale, more than $6. My goto store for this product.

Husqvarnae bar oil comes in the same bottle, just different color, it's $2-3 more per gallon than pullon. Go figure.

Stihl winter blend, mixed 50/50 with pullon works pretty well, and spreads the cost out.

The winter blend runs $15/gal around here, so it was on my Christmas list. I"m too cheap to buy it myself.

I dont know what shipping would cost but I would try CJ Logging in upstate NY. Last fall at a show they had KILLER deals on it I bought 4 or 5 cases.

TSC is the lowest retail outlet around here but,

One of the local dealers sells bulk oil, bring your own container, for $6.00 a gallon, cash out the door. There may be someone in your area selling bulk as well if you ask around.

Take Care

for what bar oil cost I couldn't care less to buy stihl,husky or any other name brand bar oil, why would you cheap out on something like that it's cheap as &*$#, besides I personally wouldn't want fry oil all over my chainsaw pants if the oil cap ever fell off, and I think it would smell when it's lubricating the bar and chain

I love that Auto zone card.

autozone has it for $5 something a gallon if you buy 12 gallons(case). Plus they give you $20 back on your autozone card for every $100 you spend.
And use it quite often. But I'm confused about shopping for the cheapest bar oil.
Man I think if you're going to shop around for the cheapest bar oil, you're under bidding jobs.

Yeah..don't do that it makes it hard for all of us.

BJ's whole sale club, 55 gal barrle comes out to like 2 dollars a gal. You can get 2 stroke oil the same way.

And use it quite often. But I'm confused about shopping for the cheapest bar oil.
Man I think if you're going to shop around for the cheapest bar oil, you're under bidding jobs.

The reason I was asking is because here where I live you could get stihl bar oil for 8 bucks a gallon. Then the other day they just raised it to 12.95. I was just wondering if anybody new a place online or any other place I could order from and get cheapper. No sense wasting money when you don't need to.

A minor cost

Labor is always the biggest cost. The Wal Mart oil is fine, a little thin compared to the Stihl. But the point is that the big operating costs are where your efforts should be focused. Bar oil simply can't approach the real price drivers in a balanced operation.

That's ridiculous. I suppose you don't care what you pay for gas or diesel, either?

EVERYTHING is subject to price controls. Big corporations have entire departments of specially trained professionals called "Buyers" that do nothing but shop for the best deal. Since most of us don't drop into that category of business, we call around and get the best deal.

If you are not shopping for the best deal on your bar oil, then you are probably not doing that for a lot of other consumable items. Which means that you are not trying hard to be competitive, which means that you probably loose a lot of jobs to competitors that are keeping their costs down.

The counter argument would be that you are so good that nobody can beat you whether or not you shop the small stuff. In which case you are just throwing money away.

BJ's whole sale club, 55 gal barrle comes out to like 2 dollars a gal. You can get 2 stroke oil the same way.

When I google bj's whole sale club, it takes me to www.bjs.com. Search that site for chain saw, bar oil etc nothing comes up, do you have a phone number? Im sure with freight it probably wouldnt be economical, but worth a try.

Back