Check out the bells n whistles on this custom splitter...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Log Splitter - Custom Built - $2850 (Mt. Sterling)
Date: 2012-10-16, 10:11AM EDT
[email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
2012 custom built log splitter with log lift boom. This is a heavy duty unit that is designed to be a back saver. Work all day, standing upright, without having to crouch over or lift heavy logs. Has split less than 2 cords. Do your homework and you will find that this is a one of a kind machine that is worth every penny. Over $3000 invested in materials alone; my loss is your gain. Possible delivery available. NO TRADES, NO LOW BALLS, NO SPAM. Serious inquiries only - Please don't waste my time. Email, text or call and I will respond quickly - 740-490-5515.

Machine details are as follows:

* 6" I beam construction
* Approx 20 tons of splitting force
* 212cc (6.5hp) Predator Engine
* Haldex 2 stage, 3000psi, 13.6 gpm pump
* 12 gallon hydraulic tank
* Prince, 3000psi, 2 spool valve with a return detent on the splitter cylinder
* Prince 4 x 24 x 1 3/4, 3000psi, cylinder for the push block
* Prince 3 x 8 x 1 3/8, 3000psi, cylinder for the log lift boom
* 6' log lift boom that swivels 360 degrees - can be used as a crane for other purposes as well.
* 25" Dixie log tongs on boom - lift any diameter log that is 25" or less in length
* "Floating" heavy duty push block - reduces wear on the I beam
* 1 1/4" x 12" wedge
* 36" working height (This is a real back saver folks)
* 12" wheels
* Heavy duty custom made fenders
* Towable with a 1 7/8" hitch coupler

Keywords: log, log lift, log splitter, wood, wood splitter, fire wood, firewood, chainsaw, hydraulics
split001.jpg

split02.jpg

split07.jpg

split06.jpg

split05.jpg

split04.jpg

split03.jpg

Looks like a really well built piece of machinery and I'd love to own it but it's wayyy outta my budget:bang:

Nice looking splitter, for that price I think it should have a Honda GX engine on it. Looks like it had a 4 way wedge at one time on it.

Very nice unit and looks wellbuilt. BUT, there's always a but ,1- I'd prefer more tonage and 2- towing from the other end of the splitter so I don't have to disconnect it from the tow vehicle.

It has some nice features, BUT, looks terribly top-heavy, and for that price it should have a top-of-the-line engine on it.

where does the 20 ton force come from? I was taught that a 4 in ram with 3000psi would give around 15 ton max, or has sombody over there in the USA managed to magic extra force from somewhere!!!

where does the 20 ton force come from? I was taught that a 4 in ram with 3000psi would give around 15 ton max, or has sombody over there in the USA managed to magic extra force from somewhere!!!

Much closer to 20 than to 15.

Should be right at 19, give or take a few pounds.

If it was set to 3100psi it would be bumping right up against 20 tons.

Mr. HE:cool:

4" ram with 3000psi gives 37699 lbs pounds of force
1 ton = 2240 lbs
divide 337699 by 2240
gives 16.8 tons imperial
these are real tons, not light weight american ones

No tables either, them big rounds split and hit the ground.....that ain't no back saver! :msp_thumbdn:

very nicely made machine, as has been noted some table to hold the larger logs would be nice. glad to see home built machines looking this good

Is that beam 1/4" wall or is it just me? :msp_ohmy: Save your money Rodney! :hmm3grin2orange:

nice work

But its built backwards. Output should be the other way. Needs a work table to hold the halves of the first couple splits. Outfeed table would be helpful. That's what I would change.

Big election coming up here dont ya know? Listening to all the stupid political ads has everyone exagerating:msp_smile:

I can tell this bunch has built and used some splitters. I looked at the picture. thought about the low points and you guys hit about every one of them. That being said I watched a neighbor use a splitter with a boom,,,, I'll take a log lift thank you. As for it being hitched backward it depends on how you work your wood. For a person who travels for his wood and hauls it back home instead of piling it in the woods that build makes sence, off the end and the truck is right there.

Kinda cheesy. I could see pushing splits up in my nice shiny truck?

Wedge is highly suspect, IMHO.

What? Twelve inch wheels, when he made a beam height of 36"?

Dinky resevoir for a couple of rams.

While the adjustable tie for the tongs on the picking beam length are cool-ish thoughts, overall, the crane arm has limited reach anyway. Cranes have winches and wire ropes, and thats why they excel,. A picker upper like that is limited any way.

Don't get me started about the fact that you aren't going to get a good swing radius if you aren't attached to the spendy truck.

Overall, the pretty red paint aint selling it for more than it is. A hobbyist custom made it, cheap-ed out on everything from metal gauge to structural. I bet you's not be totally impressed with the welding if you looked close.

I'd be curious to see how it works running a few 30+ inch oak or hedge crotches through it.

off the end and the truck is right there.

Except it looks like he'd hit the splitter if he dropped the tailgate. Now had he made it long enough that you could drop the gate and toss straight in, that'd be a nice feature - if it also had a log lifter and work table so you weren't constantly walking around the splitter the long way.

I agree with all the negatives: he'd have to stretch to get 3K for the materials, like including his gas for the multiple trips to TSC three counties over...

I have a feeling this one is on the chopping block because even he thinks it sucks and wants a do-over.

Latest posts

Back