Chemistry Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had no problems here with long term storage, I buy summertime gas without ethanol or oxgenators in it and store it in air tight cans. As far as meth, I gave that stuff up and now I have a worse addiction, CAD.

No idea, but I'm running 89 octane with ethanol bought 6+ months ago through everything I have and don't have problems. No stabilizers added, stored in plastic gas cans. My riding mower fired right up, still half full of fuel purchased about the same time. *shrug*

There is a big between a four-stroke lawnmower and a high-reving 2-stroke

Just an additional question here. Most reputable 2 stroke oils indicate that they have fuel stabilizers already added to the oil. Do most of you trust them or add additional stabilizer.

Just an additional question here. Most reputable 2 stroke oils indicate that they have fuel stabilizers already added to the oil. Do most of you trust them or add additional stabilizer.

I don't trust it, but I have no rational basis for this. I, and I suspect 99% of AS members, left rationality behind when it comes to saws years ago. For example, my 385 owners manual says it wants 89 octane, but I am convinced that with less than 92 it will explode

As a fuel stabilizer so the fuel doesn't brake down; yes. For it to work as water/moisture treatment; somewhat. For algae; not at all.

OK, so here's a progress report on my chemistry experiment. I put fresh 93 E10/stabil/stihl ultra into 8 tru-fuel cans two months ago, and have been using the remainder in the plastic can for my weed eater. I'm generally not a thinking man, so last week I noticed the trimmer bogging down, not making rpm's, and figured it was the heat, and I prolly needed a summer retune. Nope. I remembered the experiment, grabbed a can and the trimmer came right back to life. So after 2 months the etoh mix in the can seems to deliver pretty much like fresh, while the stuff in the plastic container was put into the mower

OK, so here's a progress report on my chemistry experiment. I put fresh 93 E10/stabil/stihl ultra into 8 tru-fuel cans two months ago, and have been using the remainder in the plastic can for my weed eater. I'm generally not a thinking man, so last week I noticed the trimmer bogging down, not making rpm's, and figured it was the heat, and I prolly needed a summer retune. Nope. I remembered the experiment, grabbed a can and the trimmer came right back to life. So after 2 months the etoh mix in the can seems to deliver pretty much like fresh, while the stuff in the plastic container was put into the mower

And what conclusion can we draw from this??? :DThe only thing we know for sure is that stopping your trimmer and putting fuel in it made it run better. ;) To conclude that it was the difference in the fuel is a leap of logic not supported by the evidence. It could have been that the vent on the tank is partially plugged, that the coil is on its way out, or the grass was thicker. Heck, maybe your trimmer line was getting dull.:yoyo:

There seems to be some things left out here ..........

Was the trimmer just out of gas ?
Did you dump out the cruddy gas (that was causing it to bog) if it wasnt out of gas ?

More details please ........

And what conclusion can we draw from this??? :DThe only thing we know for sure is that stopping your trimmer and putting fuel in it made it run better. ;) To conclude that it was the difference in the fuel is a leap of logic not supported by the evidence. It could have been that the vent on the tank is partially plugged, that the coil is on its way out, or the grass was thicker. Heck, maybe your trimmer line was getting dull.:yoyo:

There seems to be some things left out here ..........

Was the trimmer just out of gas ?
Did you dump out the cruddy gas (that was causing it to bog) if it wasnt out of gas ?

More details please ........

You guys are total kill-joys! I have just sent samples of the plastic stored and airtight metal stored gas off to the national forensic petroleum laboratory for spectrographic analysis, results pending. No, I didn't really do that. The good running 326L, with very sharp trimmer line ran out of gas, which it is prone to do. I was unhappy with the throttle response, RPM's and power ('cause I'm kinda OCD about this stuff). I filled the empty gas tank with 40:1 mix I had stored in the cans, pushed the "primer" 10x and started it up. Immediately noticed a much faster spool up, higher RPM's and less bogging. Admittedly, chemistry questions are generally best answered in a lab setting, but oxidation being oxidation, it also just makes sense that if you store a readily oxidizable substrate in an air tight container with a very small volume of air, it will oxidize less that if stored in a large, frequently vented container. My ears, eyes and fingers were convinced and as I have a dozen of the cool can's anyway, I'll prolly continue to use them. Last year I'd burn through 5gallons in 2 weeks as the trees were dying in the drought, but it's been raining, so using less this year.

Just buggin' you!!!

The rationale of your hypothesis is reasonable and the data from the first trial, though lacking scientific rigor, seems to support the postulate.

Now, lets do about 20 more trials with a control group introduced, design a testable and measurable way to quantify the changes observed, complete a regression analysis, and then put it out for peer review here.:laugh::laugh:

Just buggin' you!!!

The rationale of your hypothesis is reasonable and the data from the first trial, though lacking scientific rigor, seems to support the postulate.

Now, lets do about 20 more trials with a control group introduced, design a testable and measurable way to quantify the changes observed, complete a regression analysis, and then put it out for peer review here.:laugh::laugh:

"Who are you who is so wise in the ways of science?"

Anybody? Anybody???

Just buggin' you!!!

All further research will have to be done purely in the lab. I ran this by the chainsaw ethics committee and based on preliminary results (P 0.003 despite small sample size) they felt it would be morally inappropriate to subject any 2 stroke engine to the 2 month old plastic stored gas:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back