Cherry,hate to saw it up for firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Just got back from a new site, the guy wanted the area cleared, and I was tickled at the wood to be gotten down and hauled away.After the 3rd tree was safely cut up and in the trailer, I started looking at what was to come down next time, and noticed all the cherry.Anyone got any ideas besides firewood?I have milled a bunch of walnut in the past and sold it on ebay,but rather unfamiliar with cherry,dont get a lot around here.Three of the trees are 32DBH, many are in the 20inch range.The mill aint taking any cherry, so what to do?Firewood?
If there is a market for cherry in the ebay realm,what size should I mill it too?

I don't know what kind of market there is for it now but I know what you mean about hating to cut it up. My parents have cherry for all the trim and doors in their house and it sure is pretty. If you mill it I would say 5/4 would be the most popular thickness.

cherry

In this part of north west Pa. and New york state, a cord of cherry sells for a lot more than any other hard wood for burning. Don't quote me, but I think I remember reading some where that some people only burn cherry because they believe it has less of an effect on those with allergies.
It is a beautiful wood to make things out of.

Carl

Black right? Leave as thick as possible (3") and coat the log ends. What kind of mill do you have? You may want to post at the milling site one down.

Good luck.

I hate to mill it up if I have no market for it, over the years I have milled enough without enough time to build anything that I have piles of walnut,oak, and other species all piled up.I know in my heart that if I milled it up, it would end up on the piles for future use and would end up just being another pile.
one of these days I need to just have a garage sale and sell the stuff off,seems that I never have the time anymore to build stuff.

I will keep that in mind.I have a good bit of walnut that I really need to get rid of,its plugging up my shop to the point that I have a hard time moving any big stuff around.Most of the walnut that I have milled is thick stuff, I milled it into 6 inch thick planks for gun stocks.
If you want to make the hour drive, you can have it.

I would mill the very best log and then firewood the rest, then you have some in case you find you could really use some... It's not like it goes bad atleast.
Ian

Nice cherry logs should be furniture.....but

but I don't practice that myself. I have cut up several nice trunks for firewood. I do some woodworking but getting it from log to dried boards is a operation in itself. So I have been in your predicament and have only made firewood. I am almost relieved when what appears to be a nice log has bad spots and is indeed only good for firewood. By the way, to me cherry is nice to burn(dries fast) but only average heat output. Good luck and hope you come out with a clear conscience. It's tough sometimes. Tony

Here is a similar thread. I ended up selling to a local cabinet maker.
showthread.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91737
Ok cant figure that out. Try doing a search for "worth more as a log or firewood".

Last edited:
i dont know how far you would want to haul the logs or if theyre high grade but mountain city tn has a sawmill that was buying cherry the last time i looked (a few months ago).mountain city lumber company. i think they were paying $1500 per thousand then. mtn city is about an hour from johnson city. theres also a place in butler tn that i sold some to a few years ago but i dont know if theyd still buy. shouns lumber. i would call around to some more mills. ive gotten some serious money for cherry before around this area.

The mill aint taking any cherry, so what to do?Firewood? If there is a market for cherry in the ebay realm,what size should I mill it too?

When the mills would not take the wood, the only folks I know who've sold cherry did so by lining up a furniture maker (business) and wood-turner (hobbyist) before the take downs.

The vast majority of available cherry ended up as firewood or fence rails, however.

There's gotta be a mill somewhere that's taking cherry, even if it's a couple hundred bucks per thousand BF. I would definitely NOT saw it up for firewood. At the very least, get the logs up off the ground, put end sealer on them right quick, and hang on to them. Cherry heartwood is quite rot-resistant, and you can still get some pretty awesome boards in a year or two from now. The mill won't pay for year-old logs, but you will definitely be able to find a portable mill owner in that span of time.

If I was closer to you, I come and get them and pay for them. I love sawing cherry, it's one of my favorites and I would love to have a couple 20-30" diameter logs right about now. :cry:

Back