cherry smoking wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copedirector

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can wild cherry or choke cherry be used for smoking? Geographically the wood is from SE Nebraska.

I sell all my wild Cherry to BBQ and Smokers. But, I have access to more Black Cherry, which seems slightly different than the wild Cherry. I wonder if the Black Cherry would also be good for the smokers and BBQ crew.

I sell all my wild Cherry to BBQ and Smokers. But, I have access to more Black Cherry, which seems slightly different than the wild Cherry. I wonder if the Black Cherry would also be good for the smokers and BBQ crew.
Around here, wild cherry, black cherry and choke cherry are the same thing.

Around here, wild cherry, black cherry and choke cherry are the same thing.

Many people here probably call it all the same too. But, I distinguish the Cherry from trees that are producing edible cherry fruit which are growing wild; that is not intentionally planted in orchards. From the Black Cherry tree which produce relatively few, small, and not edible cherries. No doubt the trees are related, but the Black Cherry tree is much taller, and has a dark scaled bark, while what I call wild cherry is a smaller tree, has a smooth bark, even at an old age. The bark is relatively thin and peels off easily especially when split green.

Most arborist tree identification web sites and books are very clear in describing the Black Cherry tree. Few even describe what I call a wild cherry tree, or for that matter any orchard variety fruit trees.

So, I'll admit, I may be distinguishing between only slightly different tree types. None the less, I have customers who take the former. If I could sell them the Black Cherry too for the same purpose, it would increase my access to wood for them.

I've talked about cherry on here before. It is a great wood. I use it on everything from pigs to chicken thighs.

Cherry of any kind is a great smoking wood. Milder than hickory and oak, and somewhat different flavor. Leaves the smoked meats with a strong red coloration. I loke it on chicken, fish, and pork.

Many people here probably call it all the same too. But, I distinguish the Cherry from trees that are producing edible cherry fruit which are growing wild; that is not intentionally planted in orchards. From the Black Cherry tree which produce relatively few, small, and not edible cherries. No doubt the trees are related, but the Black Cherry tree is much taller, and has a dark scaled bark, while what I call wild cherry is a smaller tree, has a smooth bark, even at an old age. The bark is relatively thin and peels off easily especially when split green.

Most arborist tree identification web sites and books are very clear in describing the Black Cherry tree. Few even describe what I call a wild cherry tree, or for that matter any orchard variety fruit trees.

So, I'll admit, I may be distinguishing between only slightly different tree types. None the less, I have customers who take the former. If I could sell them the Black Cherry too for the same purpose, it would increase my access to wood for them.

I'm in prime black cherry timber area and send logs to the mill every now and then. This is how we categorize them here:

Black cherry = wild cherry = Prunus serotina. The cherries are indeed edible. The pits are not.

Chokecherry = Prunus virginiana. Not very large. Often looks more shrublike and never really gets big enough for firewood. Cherries also edible

Pin cherry = fire cherry = Prunus pensylvanica
That other tree you mentioned sounds like a Pin cherry. It's bark doesn't plate like black cherry, remains smooth, and will grow to have pronounced horizontical lenticels. Wood is a bit softer than black cherry. The outer bark often wants to keep both sides of the split together like a piece of paper was glued to it. (Edible cherries, BTW.) Even this ancient one on our farm retains the many of its youthful characteristics:

pincherry1.jpg

pincherry4.jpg

pincherrytrunk3.jpg

I'm in prime black cherry timber area and send logs to the mill every now and then. This is how we categorize them here:

Black cherry = wild cherry = Prunus serotina. The cherries are indeed edible. The pits are not.

Chokecherry = Prunus virginiana. Not very large. Often looks more shrublike and never really gets big enough for firewood. Cherries also edible

Pin cherry = fire cherry = Prunus pensylvanica
That other tree you mentioned sounds like a Pin cherry. It's bark doesn't plate like black cherry, remains smooth, and will grow to have pronounced horizontical lenticels. Wood is a bit softer than black cherry. The outer bark often wants to keep both sides of the split together like a piece of paper was glued to it. (Edible cherries, BTW.) Even this ancient one on our farm retains the many of its youthful characteristics:

Thanks for the response. Your pictures of the bark are exactly like what I was calling a "wild cherry", and your description of how the bark often hangs on to both sides of a split is also exactly what I have experienced. I have never heard the term Pin Cherry before, but Wiki has a good description that matches yours. It's great to learn something every day.

Unfortunately, while searching information on the Pin Cherry I found reference to a Bird Cherry which appears similar, save for the larger, more oval leaf. This guy does a very good job describing Black, Pin, and Bird Cherry:

Trees with Don Leopold - bird cherry - YouTube

Here are a couple pictures of one of the bigger ones at the edge of my woods:

253215d1347888540-cherry-1-jpg

253214d1347888540-cherry-2-jpg

253216d1347888540-cherry-3-jpg

Either way, I have been selling Black Cherry as a mixed hardwood, and selling the other cherry for smokers and BBQ folks.
Thank you for pointing me.

Last edited:
We have the same three “cherry” trees around here… I have all three in my woodlot;
The Black Cherry (some call them a wild cherry tree) does have “editable” fruit but they don’t taste very good as a stand-alone… normally used for making jelly and jam. It can grow to relatively large size… I have some in my woodlot well over two feet in diameter.
The Choke Cherry, which looks more like a shrub than a tree, has larger and sweeter fruit. Usually it doesn’t get big enough to be worth the time to cut for firewood.
And the Pin Cherry is a nuisance, grows like weeds everywhere you don’t want it. Because of the similarities in bark, it’s commonly mistaken as some sort of birch. As far as firewood quality it’s several steps down from Black Cherry... pretty good for fire pit wood though. Usually they don’t live long and I rarely see one over 10-12 inches diameter.

Wild Cherry

I was able to get some wild cherry last fall. They were just young springs about 1" or 1-1/2" in diameter. A couple weeks ago my friend who smokes meat and likes to cook used some of this cherry I had given him.

That meat certainly tasted good. I say for you to get all of it you think you will need.

Nosmo

Jere39,
I hate to tell you this, but those pictures of leaves you added are not the leaves of any cherry tree I know of.

Well, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but seems to be some interest here. I agree, these leaves are very different from Black Cherry and Pin Cherry. But, from my research, Take a look at this page (from a UK website) with pictures of "Bird Cherry" and "Wild Cherry" as distinct from both "Black Cherry" and "Pin Cherry"

Hainault Forest Website

Leaf%20cherry1.JPG

Bird%20cherry%20leaf3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but seems to be some interest here. I agree, these leaves are very different from Black Cherry and Pin Cherry. But, from my research, Take a look at this page (from a UK website) with pictures of "Bird Cherry" and "Wild Cherry" as distinct from both "Black Cherry" and "Pin Cherry"

Hainault Forest Website
QUOTE]

Interesting, but that is a UK site that refer to species names that are not native to North America. It's not unexpected for other peoples to use the same name that we use for a tree here to refer to a different species.

In addition to some ornamental cherries around the house, I have black cherry, chokecherry, and pin cherry within 100 ft of my barn. I'll try to post some comparison pics tomorrow.

Hainault Forest Website
QUOTE]

Interesting, but that is a UK site that refer to species names that are not native to North America. It's not unexpected for other peoples to use the same name that we use for a tree here to refer to a different species.

In addition to some ornamental cherries around the house, I have black cherry, chokecherry, and pin cherry within 100 ft of my barn. I'll try to post some comparison pics tomorrow.

I agree they may have different names here than referenced in the UK, I'll even concede they may not be native species. But, they are here, and judging by the size, have been for 35+ years. I too have more Black Cherry than any other kind on my property. I've never seen Choke Cherry here at all, but I have seen Pin Cherry along the edges of woods. And whatever this round-leaf Cherry tree might be called; Bird Cherry, or Wild Cherry, or some other cherry, I've been selling it green to BBQ and Smokers who have come back several times for more. All the way back in post #3 of this thread I called it "Wild Cherry" as has the UK web site. I think I'll just keep calling it that for now. But, I always appreciate other opinions, and I think I was honest enough to admit I wasn't sure what it was, and still honest enough to continue to agree I might still be wrong.

I have two large black cherries I want gone because of the proximity to the house... One is an easy fell, the other needs a rope pull, a bucket or climber to get down as it leans toward the neighbors power line

I don't smoke, but was thinking of checking on selling the trunks for lumber, and they are not really yard trees as the house is only 12 years old, and built on what used to be a forest ridge, and still is mostly.

dw

Latest posts

Back