Chestnuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

England14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A little off topic but i figured you all would know. I got Chestnuts falling all over the back yard and I want to know how to roast them. I like them boiled but have never tried to roast any and figure the time has come to try. Thanks!

Odds are they are Horse Chestnuts. The "Chestnuts roasing on an open fire" thingy is about the American Chestnut. Highly unlikely you have one of those bearing nuts.

Horse Chestnut any good? Iknow they are used but apparantly take a bit more than just roasting to be edible.

Harry K

We just make a cut in the shell so it's easier to peel when roasted, then put them on the woodstove for 15-20 min.(i won't put money on that, it's trial and error thinga).
They go down well with cheap red wine, thunderstorms and knowing you got PLENNY seasoned stacked firewood just outside the kitchen door... :clap:

SA

We just make a cut in the shell so it's easier to peel when roasted, then put them on the woodstove for 15-20 min.(i won't put money on that, it's trial and error thinga).
They go down well with cheap red wine, thunderstorms and knowing you got PLENNY seasoned stacked firewood just outside the kitchen door... :clap:

SA

A big me too for the above

Chinese chestnuts are a wintertime treat roasted on the woodstove; much better than boiled

Just cut an X in the flat side of each nut, lay tinfoil on top of woodstove, put about a dozen in and fold tinfoil over them

You will be able to tell by the delicious smells when they are about ready to eat

If you fully seal tin foil be sure to open a bit before finishing to allow moisture to get out and insure crispy finished product

bon apetit

Put a dessert bowl full of water next to one filled with the chestnuts in the Microwave. 1 Min. later they should be done, but ya might have to tinker a bit.

Local guy I worked with, has about 4 acres surviving of his failed Chineese hybrid grove so we get a couple bags full each year.

Roasting is the best way, but takes time.
We just nip 'em with wire cutters.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Chestnuts with Rice

Here is my favorit way of eating chestnuts.

1. Chestnut Preparation

Dump chestnuts in boiling watrer for 1 or 2 minutes to kill bug eggs and to soften the shell. Drain, cool, and peel shell and skin using a small knife. Put peeled chestnuts in water. After draining water, you can freeze them, if you would like to save them for later time.

2. Cooking (4 servings)

Mix two and a half cups of regular short grain rice and a half cup of sweet rice. Rince the rice with water, drain, and place the rice in a rice cooker.

Add water to the line for three cups of regular rice cooking.
Add one cup of peeled chestnuts to the rice cooker (either raw or frozen is fine). Add three table spoon of Sake (rice wine). Add a half tea spoon of salt.

After soaking for about 15 minutes, turn the rice cooker (normal cooking setting), and let it cook.

Star the rice well before serving the chestnut rice. Do not worry about crashing chestnuts.

It would be great if served with grilled fish, miso soup, nori (paper-like dried/reasted/seasoned seaweed) and picles.

Enjoy!

Noko

Latest posts

Back