Chi-com saw is DEAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I DID end up with some one-off unobtanium-tipped chain - I replaced the squished saw with a new one and ran a single tank through it - I've already noticed a slight bit of dulling on the new chain. The new saw is also not a nice as the squished one - it runs OK, but the trigger/grip safety assy. isn't as smooth as the first one. It's still a perfect fit as my primary camp saw though. My 036 Pro stays home where it's safe from rogue tractors and such.

JayC

Just shows you that they are not as badly made as some people think. Buy another one and salvage what you can for parts. Worth the money for the work it has done for you! If you pick this up over your stihl then surely it can't be that bad? Plus, you could have spent 4 times as much on a 361 and done the same to it!! Then you really would be mad! lol.

I bought an archers chain from ebay for my 260, and it is just about ready for a touch up after about 4 tanks. I use husky and oregon chains on my 346 and it is ready for a sharpening after about 2.

Anyway, definately worth getting another one even if it gets run over in a month or two. :cool:

It would be interesting to see how many Stihls and Husqvarnas are sold in various countries. I'd bet that throughout Asia, South America and Africa that the Chinese saws have a big market.

Those saws probably don't see a lot of quality fuel, synthetic oil and good maintenance either.

I just had to get one of these things to play with. I put in a stupid low bid on Ebay and for some reason it went through, I got this saw for $57 plus $29 shipping. It looks pretty nice in the pictures and yours seemed to hold up rather well to the tractor incident. Mine won't be here for a while, it is coming from Canada. I will try to not run it over before it is completely dead.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It is good to see things such as clutches and replacement carbs are available
for about the cost of a rebuild kit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Coming from Canada eh? who is the seller?

Just shows you that they are not as badly made as some people think. Buy another one and salvage what you can for parts. Worth the money for the work it has done for you! If you pick this up over your stihl then surely it can't be that bad? Plus, you could have spent 4 times as much on a 361 and done the same to it!! Then you really would be mad!

Anyway, definately worth getting another one even if it gets run over in a month or two. :cool:

No doubt. My second saw isn't quite as sweet as the first, but still runs pretty good. They all require a bit of tweaking to get set up right, and they all leak from the gas cap until you smooth the castings. After cutting down and limbing and bucking a hundred trees with the first saw and chain, I completely trashed the chain on the second saw on it's second tank by catching a hidden rock while clearing an ATV trail. I filed it, but it might be too far gone for manual sharpening - haven't tried it again yet.

After running the Chi-Coms all summer, I made a couple of cuts with my 036P last weekend and *WOW* - definitely apples and oranges. I forgot what that saw was all about - I doubt I'll be picking up the Chi-coms when the Stihl is w/in reach. OTOH, I WOULD be seriously bummed if I ran the 36 over with my tractor, so the cheapie remains the best choice for up at camp.

JayC

Do you think you will be going to the Ontario GTG in February, its a bit of a drive for you to Tilsonburg but I'm sure its worth it?

imma trying to get the time off work for it. problem is, feb. is when the plant starts back up after the christmas holliday. really really trying...:cheers:
OH how my back still aches when i hear that word...:hmm3grin2orange:

I just had to get one of these things to play with. I put in a stupid low bid on Ebay and for some reason it went through, I got this saw for $57 plus $29 shipping. It looks pretty nice in the pictures and yours seemed to hold up rather well to the tractor incident. Mine won't be here for a while, it is coming from Canada. I will try to not run it over before it is completely dead.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It is good to see things such as clutches and replacement carbs are available
for about the cost of a rebuild kit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just bought one also for about the same price, but it's not here yet either. I didn't need it either, just curious how good it is.

I wonder if it is a copy of common saw, and parts will interchange?

Bummer on the saw! I think I see and older Snapper LT tractor behind the saw. I've got one of those too; LT-16. It's a 1985 or 1986. Great tractor. I use it to tug my trailer in and out of the yard these days.

Yup, that's a YT or LT alright. I have a YT12 I got free from my neighbor. Bunch of us YT/LT fans are on this forum / thread all the time:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=108053

That saw fared about as good as some name brands would have under those circumstances. I'd git another one.

I dont think you could pay me $80 to buy one of those things...

I know where you are coming from...but the ball is in motion...they build some nice stuff and sell it cheap. If they are smart enough to get a support network in place it will get very interesting

dont they offer a knock off 090? :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back