chimeny/house fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some pics I could get today..

IMG_0005-1.jpg

<br>
IMG_0004-1.jpg

<br>
IMG_0003-3.jpg

<br>
IMG_0002-4.jpg

<br>
IMG_0001-4.jpg
<br><br>

sun is shining right into camera so couldnt get a lot of pics but got what I could with out being in the glare..

omfg, that is what we call a "factory built fireplace", an insert should never have been installed in that in the first place, they should only be installed in masonry firplaces. did you even have a 2100 deg. chimney, or is it galvanized that they lined un frickin' believable.

Wow, nomak! You and your son have been given a blessing to still be here. With wood siding, whew, that could have easily been a fatal fire. You have an angel or two watching over you and yours.

Shari

Nomak
PM me tonights lotto #'s.

You lucky S.O.B.!!

Glad you and your boys live to enjoy a brighter future.

P.S.
Think 4 X's about what you post about this......That Fire Inspector might be watching..:camera:

Nomak, sorry about the house, thank God you and you boy are safe.

Dinger is right about the quadrafire being a fantastic stove, so is pacific energy stoves, quite a few of our wood customers use either brand and have nothing but rave reviews on how great they are.

I sell one guy wood with a Hardy OWB, thank goodness it sets away from his building, he only will buy green wood, I'm talking freshly cut red oak and hedge. He has flue fires all the time. He uses 8" well casing for a flue. I was driving by one night with my boys and he had a flue fire going and we stopped to tell him, it wasn't no big deal to him. The sound is unbelievable as it looked like a oil well/afterburner cooking off.

Again, glad your safe. A house can be rebuilt, precious life can't be.

help...

Nomak,

if you need anything drop me a pm...at most you are a 4 hour drive...don't know if I can help but if you need it I will do my best to help you out...I have extensive background in construction so if it's patching stuff back up that you need will be there...

Don't ask for me to make house payments...the wife's sending all the cash right now to Santa Clause via Walmart and the Mall...ha ha.

seriously if you need help let me know.

So glad you're safe. Those pictures are scary, looks like you were only minutes away from a much worse outcome. Definitely a Christmas to be counting your blessings.

Hope the guy that did your install has lots of liability insurance and that you have full documentation of the install for your insurance company. You can bet the insurance company will try and weasel their way out of paying up. Good luck to you and your family. Don't let the insurance company push you around. You are the victim here not them.

Hope the guy that did your install has lots of liability insurance and that you have full documentation of the install for your insurance company. You can bet the insurance company will try and weasel their way out of paying up. Good luck to you and your family. Don't let the insurance company push you around. You are the victim here not them.

yeah I had every bit of documentation from the brochure the salesman brought and even had the stove model he chose and specs circled for it in his own writing. also have several emails with all of our communications I was able to give the investigator.
I did have to call the insurance company and kinda got mad at them today till they said they would take care of it. But I asked about a temporary tarp or something do keep rain from coming in the house and causing more damage and there contracted claims person said it was my responsability to get it temporarily patched. so I called my local agent and told them what they said and they called me right back and said they would take care of it. Reason I was worried is the weather is calling for rain turning into snow this weekend starting saturday evening..but I have a feeling this is gonna be a long drawn out event and not a hassle free repair. they take my money when I pay them and would cancle me in a second if I didnt so why cant they get my house back the way it was quickly as possible and done right the first time..but again Im just thankful to thy neighbors and for my son and my own lives and will not take anything for granted that I have in the past..have really opened my eyes since this tragedy..

omfg, that is what we call a "factory built fireplace", an insert should never have been installed in that in the first place, they should only be installed in masonry firplaces. did you even have a 2100 deg. chimney, or is it galvanized that they lined un frickin' believable.

Woodfarmer, I think I have the same setup, using the factory-built fireplace made from a steel box shown inside the cut away siding. My house was built with it 7 years prior to me buying it. However the only difference is that it is installed in a masonary fireplace. My Napoleon insert was installed inside this steel firebox years later. Now if the original factory-built box was meant to take the extreme temps of the flames and coals, it is my thinking that an extra layer of steel barrier (woodstove insert) placed inside containing the flame should present an added layer of protection. I am not up on the construction codes but I think it's more of an issue of the surrounding combustibles containing the "factory-built fireplace" than what was inserted inside of it. Am I on the right track here with this line of thinking?

I could be wrong but it looks like Nomak has some rot issues he needs to address before closing that all back up....

Nomak--How's the rebuilding process going? We are praying for a quick repair so you can get your lives back to normal quickly. I know what it is like to go through what you did. Ours was due to an electric space heater. A house fire really makes one realize the importance of smoke detectors, insurance and the foresight of taking pictures of your home to document your possessions.--- And of course, good friends & family!

Very wierd....I don't know if that is common practice but I've never seen wood around a fireplace. Glad you guys are o.k. Can you install one of those insulated aluminum pipes. I think it would be less expensive.

Just got back to the thread. It was not a case of the installers not knowing what they were doing. We are sure that the fans in the bottom of the fireplace were wore out. They started making noise and got a little worse. We thought little of it. The night of the fire my son said they were making a lot of noise and was making weird sounds. He was the only one that heard it cause his room buts up to the the back of the fireplace and most likely slept light because it was chritmas morning at 12:56 AM. We believe with the very small gauge of wiring going to the fans got too hot because the resistance of the fans. To make matters worse the fresh air intake is on the same side as the wiring going into the fans. Most likely melting the fresh air intake vent that was insulated and wrapped with black plastic. Once the plastic melted this gave it plenty of fresh air. The instal was up to Wis. codes. Unfortunately the codes allow wood to be used as fire stop. This was the problem. We rebuilt the house again and went with an EKO wood boiler and is outside in a shed. We installed a gas fireplace and has not been used yet. This time I did double up 5/8" drywall inside the chase and is encapsulated with 1 1/8 " of rock and is taped. If this would have been done the first time there would be nothing inside to burn. Life goes on. There were other problems with the fireplace too. The insulation around the fireplace was junk after 4 years and the steel sorround was deteriated. This also could have gotten the wood hot enough to burn. I doubt it though cause I saw where the fire started, on the bottom of the right side of the fireplace where the wire and fresh air intake are. In all honesty I like the Quad 7100. I would have bought another but at 6k compared to 3k I saved the 3k for the eko 25 wood boiler. This heats the house evenly and the hot water too. Later, ihookem.

I'm very happy to hear you folks made out all right. Glad you did not give up on burning, nice choice btw in your wood burning appliance.

Nomak, I am very happy you are all OK. Sorry this is so late but I hope you read it. I have a very similar setup you have (had).
A Regency (i2400) insert in my fireplace with a full length liner. (its going right now) I know they are approved for (some) zero clearance prefab fireplaces as long as the integrity of the ZC fireplace is not compromised.
I think since the insert wasn't quite doing the job I would seriously think about installing a standalone unit. Much more heat and in my opinion safer. If I had the room that's how I would've done mine.

Woodfarmer, I think I have the same setup, using the factory-built fireplace made from a steel box shown inside the cut away siding. My house was built with it 7 years prior to me buying it. However the only difference is that it is installed in a masonary fireplace. My Napoleon insert was installed inside this steel firebox years later. Now if the original factory-built box was meant to take the extreme temps of the flames and coals, it is my thinking that an extra layer of steel barrier (woodstove insert) placed inside containing the flame should present an added layer of protection. I am not up on the construction codes but I think it's more of an issue of the surrounding combustibles containing the "factory-built fireplace" than what was inserted inside of it. Am I on the right track here with this line of thinking?
difficult to tell without seeing it, if your concerned have a reputable chimney sweep check it out

Latest posts

Back