Chipper blade grinder anyone seen or used a papec

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phill3030

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guy dropped this off today has new motor said they used it belts are missing seems like the table would move back and fourth so fast you would not be able to see it wit
6613865a48c14d9448c9dd9077a3de85.jpg
659aa47b2662041fadfc49b757445ab8.jpg
h the 3450 motor that is on it says it is a papec AG24 anyone have any info on one of these.
c84f74c3cdbfada841a69c6aaaa2375b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's going to be a real pain on chipper blades - no coolant- so it will easily burn the metal . 6 inch cup wheel ? That will burn a hole in pocket quickly also. Single edged blades are generally ground at around 40 deg. the double edged units at about 30 deg. even at say a .001 per pass they will burn which ruins the temper and will cause break outs in the edge.

I think going to a smaller dia. motor pulley to reduce speed, and / or replace 3450 motor with a 1750 would be kinder to the knives if you are going to be grinding without coolant.

Even reducing the speed of the wheel will not particularly help. Using a CBN wheel would though- pricey
Note: I do this kind of work day in and day out. this not a an ad for work just stating background for my responses

All that I can tell you is the man that dropped this unit off used it . Said it worked great I think I am going to keep the motor and scrap the rest of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

These were made for sharpening blades on drum chippers. We have one that my grandfather bought 50+ years ago. It has an adjustable feed table and the original motor is a 1 hp/3440 rpm.
I understand the technicals of metal hardening and sharpening, but there was never a problem with burnt knives or broken blades after being on this machine. I've also never tried sharpening double-sided disc chipper blades on it. Good luck

What happens around here is the groundies tend to "shovel" up derbis and toss it in to the chipper- rather than emptying shovel directly in to truck hence the blades come in sometimes with 1/4" or deeper knock outs on the edge. Not practical for me to do .001 grinds for hours on end to clean up that kind of damage. Single edge 40 degree blades are relatively quick to grind vs the double edged which have to be matched length from the center line on both sides X 2 , 4, or 6 blades in a set. They all have to match. I can run up to 4 -12" knives as a set. On single edged knives you have a contact area of apx 1/2" or less by the width of the wheel face - double edge at 30 degrees apx you are looking at an 1" or more of contact area length wise- On my machine the wheel face is 2" wide x10" dia. got to have coolant on that.

Latest posts

Back