Chipper durability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNClimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys out there. I recently bought a 1996 Bandit 250XP with the 115hp cummins in it and was wondering how long you can continually chip without damaging the unit. The reason that I ask is I just got a land clearing job of about 20 acres and its all 6-14 in poplar and I figure that after I remove any usable logs I'll have about 50 hours of chipping to do. I'm just not sure if it would be good to chip that long of a time continuously. So after my long winded question whats your guys opinions on this.

Its an odd question, because you will get tired after the first 6 or 8 hours of continuous chipping.

Are you concerned that a commercial grade chipper needs a vacation every couple of days?

Most chippers used by land clearing companies, run everyday,all day. It is a machine designed to do this work.

You figure you can chip an acre in 2 1/2 hours?

I should have mentioned that I will be using two bobcats to load the chipper continuously and it will all be piled and positioned next to the chipper before we even begin to chip. So the machines only have to move a few feet to grab material out of the piles. I have already cleared the lot and have been hauling out all of the good useful wood.

I would NOT run that Bandit for 50hr.s straight...let it rest every like 6-7hr.s I have NEVER ran a chipper striaght for more then 5hr.s and that was on a rental:biggrinbounce2:

A chipper this size isn't made to be used all day long being run every hour for the full hour.... I run my stuff like for 30 minutes because thats usually all I have to chip for that job..

I've run a 250 on several 8hr+ straight chipping runs.
(it had about 1100hrs on the engine)

- Change the oil before the job and at the end (synthetic rotella is one of the best).
- Put in new quality knives, adjust the anvil, and check them every 15 - 20 hours.
- Put in a new air filter and check it daily.
- Keep the radiator screen clean.
- Open the bottom dump door, leave it open and once a day remove the mound that will pile up below it.
- Keep the size down to 8 -10" and/or lower the in feed speed on the big stuff.
- Try not to get too much mud & dirt on the limbs.
- Let it come down to idle every few hours and turn it off at lunch (if possible).
- Keep an eye on the temp and oil pressure.
- Put someone in charge of running the chipper and watching over it.

Good luck.

TreeCo is right. The machine is not made for 50hrs straight. 8 -12 hr day it should do OK, but not 24/7 running.

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided against using my chipper and am renting a 280XP HD. You know how it is you own one thing so you try not pay for something that you don't have. Rather pay the rental fee than pay to replace my 250. Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I will be using two bobcats to load the chipper continuously and it will all be piled and positioned next to the chipper before we even begin to chip. So the machines only have to move a few feet to grab material out of the piles. I have already cleared the lot and have been hauling out all of the good useful wood.

I don't want to quibble but I don't think you will be able to chip 20AC in 50 hrs unless it is sparsely populated. Maybe you have done this work before but taking on 20AC of chipping is a large job. Bobcats do not feed chippers very well based on my experience.

I chip with a 20", 200hp chipper with grapple loader and I can only do about 1 AC per day whether bobcats are bringing me trees or I am pulling off of large piles set up optimally.

As far as putting 50 hrs on a chipper, that's nothing though I imagine you will be changing blades a couple of times if you want to keep vibration down and keep productivity up. This is especially true if you are bringing trees with a skid loader. The trees will more than likely get dirty.

I would NOT run that Bandit for 50hr.s straight...let it rest every like 6-7hr.s I have NEVER ran a chipper striaght for more then 5hr.s and that was on a rental:biggrinbounce2:

A chipper this size isn't made to be used all day long being run every hour for the full hour.... I run my stuff like for 30 minutes because thats usually all I have to chip for that job..

I would think that the more you stop and start a chipper, the more you would be replacing clutches. has this been your experience?

Just to clear up the whole run time thing. I would be running the chipper for about 10-12 hours a day for about five or more days. Not fifty straight hours. Also these are primarily the tops of the trees so starting at about 8in at the average. Fortunately for me I don't think that the land up here has as much tangled ceder like down in Texas by Yellowdog. Most of the brush I'll be running over with a brushcat or a timberax.

I don't own a Bandit, but I do this with my Vermeer 1250 all the time.
I put a new engine in it (due to sabatoge) about 3 years ago. I have chipped over 100 acres with it since then. Well I say I have, mostly it was the guys working for me. You can feed tops with a Bobcat, but you can also damage your chipper if not carefull.

Andy

Back