Chipper features question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a lot of thinning of white pines to do, as in roughly 300-400. These trees are roughly 30 feet tall and about 10 inches at the base. In the past I have cut conifers down and left them lying on the ground for several years, then broken them up and scraped them off with a loader tractor. Pine seems to rot away rather quickly.

Currently, a situation with pine beetles means you can't leave them lie, as the dead trees make good habitat for the beetles. My state forestry group tells me if the trees are chipped they are no longer habitat for the beetles. They need to be chipped or burned. [I am going to experiment with an attempt to start a fire with green pine using diesel and dry wood to get it really going. Then, we will see if once going you can continue feeding the fire green wood and have it continue.]

My real wish is for a serious PTO-driven chipper. I have a John Deere 5500 which is rated at 73 PTO HP. It seems the biggest chipper I can run with that is a 10 inch. Review of the available machines causes me to be looking at 10 inch units from Wallenstein and Farmi/Valby. I believe hydraulic feed would be good. Interested in your views on that part, and any other observations you may have.

I am hoping to be able to find one used, but realize that may be unlikely. Even with the 10 inch machines I may have to cut the butts off some of the stems to get the bulk of the stems to run through the chipper. Anything smaller would just make my problem worse.

What experience have you had with these machines? Any useful thoughts for me in this situation?

I don't have much money to work with, so don't suggest I buy a 12 to 18 inch engine-driven chipper. I have the tractor and a 3-point hitch mounted unit would work well in this reforestation project with respect to maneuverability. I realize this group has little experience with tractor mounted chippers, but you have a lot of experience with chippers.

Thank you.

We have built a couple of 15" pto disc chippers, if that is somthing you would be interested in? We would have to build a new one as we don't have any used ones in stock. We have two pto versions available either a 3-point hitch unit or a trailerized unit. Either one of these would run you just under 20k. If you would like some more information please let me know.

Jason
Bandit Industries, Inc.

Latest posts

Back