Chipper help!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have and 04 Bandit 1890.
Caterpillar diesel engine.

my Auto-feed kicks in @ 2400 horses (digital display).

But lately (for the last few months) the machine is not reaching the full horsepower. It will sit around 2100 and 2200 when you crank it all the way up. so i have to turn auto-feed off inorder to chip.

On the off occassions when the motor DOES reach the 2400 hps needed for auto-feed to kick in, it pauses for super long periods waiting for it to get back up to the required HPower to kick back in!

I haven't had any issues before. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Does this sound like a fuel pump/ injectors issues?
Does it need a tuneup? (what is a diesel tune-up?)

Any suggestions would be super appreciated!

Check your fuel filters. Take them off and look in the inlets. Mine were getting clogged with rust from the tank and acting the same way.

Agree Fuel filters. At least that is the cheap place to start. Cold compounds fuel filter issues and machine starves for fuel. Filters should be changed on regular basis. Do it the same time your doing your oil changes and you should be good.

+1 on filters. I added a second filter to my machine. A buddy had to get his tank replaced with a stainless one because the original kept clogging things up. If you do filters and still have the problem, then I'd be looking at the following in this order; bleed all the lines (at the inectors!), check throttle linkage and ensure it moves smoothly and moves to full throttle position, fuel lines, fuel pump, computer.

Shaun

I have and 04 Bandit 1890.
Caterpillar diesel engine.

my Auto-feed kicks in @ 2400 horses (digital display).
On the off occassions when the motor DOES reach the 2400 hps needed for auto-feed to kick in, it pauses for super long periods waiting for it to get back up to the required HPower to kick back in!

Wow, that is some serious horsepower!!! :laugh:
Jeff

Wow, that is some serious horsepower!!! :laugh:
Jeff

And the hp output is on a sliding scale. Sounds fancy.

I've run into the same thing with a JD motor. After some minor investigation, the tach leads to the alternator were loose. Start with the easy things first and verify that the tach is operating properly.

Latest posts

Back