chipper help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, I want to thank B-Edwards for being kind enough to send me the pages for setting up the knives for a whisper (Asplundh) type drum chipper. Now, I have the knives set correctly, but have discovered a new development. The cutting bar had some relatively new beads of weld on the knife side which I missed (new tho this stuff) when I purchased this chipper. I thought it was some kind of hard surfacing or something. Now that I have it all apart, I discovered it is the pressure bar that has these welds and I cannot find any cutting bar at all! Looks like the PO put some welds on the working side of the pressure bar and used it for a cutting bar! I want to rebuild the drum properly with all the right components. Anyway, I cannot figure out what the cutting bar is suppose to bolt to if I had one? The pressure bar has the two large hold down bolts and the bottom adjustment bolts, but all the cutting bars I have found on the internet seem to have two holes for bolting it to the pressure bar. Is it possible the PO cut a flange or something off of the pressure bar to jury rig some kind of cutting bar? If anyone can explain or send me a picture of what I am suppose to have I would really appreciate that. I haven't been able to find the answer on the web. The machine is a Asplundh Chipmonk 12" drum style chipper. Thanks, Tom

You need to call Altech , I think is the name of the business which now sells parts for these machines. I used to have the phone number but it is gone now. Maybe someone here will know it ,the company that I dealt with is located here in NC but I cant remember where. If you can contact them you will be able to get anything you need to make it right again. Good luck.

Tom, since you have it apart, a pic of yours would help see what you're talking about here. the pressure bar is just there to hold up on the cutter bar to set the clearance and the cutter bar has the 2 big bolt holes through it to lock it in place.
-Ralph

Thanks Barry and Ralph for a reply. I have tried to contact Altec but so far no reply.I know this tread is confusing. I will take a digital pic today and post it. Basically, it will show the pressure bar (with weld on top) and that is it. No cutting bar and I do not see any place to attach the bolts for the cutting bar, if in fact it does bolt to the pressure bar.. As it is right now, I could purchase a new cutting bar and place it into the pocket above the pressure bar, but do not know how to retain the cutting bar bolts.
I hope this rambling makes sense. I will send in a picture this afternoon. Thanks again, Tom

Last edited:
Here are two pics of the pressure bar. I see no threads to lock the cutter bar if in fact it attaches to the presure bar at all? Keep in mind that the welded surface was the only thing in contact with the four chipper knives on the drum when I bought this unit. Any more help in trying to determine the attachment of missing cutter bar? Thanks, Tom

I can mail you a copy of my Asplundh Whisper Chipper Model JEY Series. I has a parts breakdown and instructions on adjusting blades and bed knive.
Steve

Looks like a typical moron made a fast fix on that. Ok try this, call Asplundh directly in PA and ask them the phone number of Altech Altec . I think your right on the name being spelled Altec. It shouldn't be that hard to get the number from someone or even over the net. When you do get the number some nice people are going to know exactly what you need and what your talking about as they are very knowledgeable about your chipper. Good luck and I will see if I can find the number also.

you can get a new cutter bar from zenith knife company or karl kummerling. karl kummerling has manuals they will sell you a copy of it. good luck getting it fixed when you do it will be a good chipper.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I will call Asplundh like Barry says.
Can someone confirm where the cutter bar bolts into for attachment? I am thinking the only place would be the pressure bar, but I see no threads for the cutter bar on my mangled pressure bar.

There should be a notch in the top of the piece you posted a pic of that a square piece called the cutter bar bolts to with two Allen head bolts. The cutter bar can be flipped or turned over so as to use all the sides when one side wears to the point that brush passes through and isn't cut as it should be. I remember why I called Altec in the first place now, it was to get a new cutter bar. Good luck and remember when you talk to these people they are going to KNOW what you need and understand everything about the machine in question (great feeling). I think you need a new pressure bar and cutter bar also. oh yeah get the allen bolts that conect the two.

man, I'd love to be able to help somehow with this, but its been so long since I was into an asplundh drum that I just can't visualize what I need to in order to offer any advice or arcane opinions. So I'll not say anything at all.
-Ralph

There should be a notch in the top of the piece you posted a pic of that a square piece called the cutter bar bolts to with two Allen head bolts. The cutter bar can be flipped or turned over so as to use all the sides when one side wears to the point that brush passes through and isn't cut as it should be. I remember why I called Altec in the first place now, it was to get a new cutter bar. Good luck and remember when you talk to these people they are going to KNOW what you need and understand everything about the machine in question (great feeling). I think you need a new pressure bar and cutter bar also. oh yeah get the allen bolts that conect the two.
I concur I have and asplundh chipper some thing fishy in your pic you will need new cutter bar and holder allen bolts as well ,looks like some one tried to make all in one out of steel in your pic! Mine has four sides you flip and is hardened steel where as; holder is just steel when you get this machine going it will chip a long time before you change blades, as long as you throw rakings in truck instead of through chipper. It will get with the program and is faster than most slow feed chippers no waiting in line to chip just watch out for the whips and feed from the side !!

This site is a great asset to those (like me) who are new to this type of work. Thanks to all who replied! I agree with Ropensaddle that somebody tried to make an "all in one" tool out of the pressure bar, now that I know a little more how the system works. One thing I would like to get from one of the members is a picture or diagram of the pressure bar. So far I have not been able to find anyone who has one for sale (new or used) and am considering having one made by a friend with a vertical mill. I have ordered a new cutter bar, but need to see what exactly a proper pressure bar looks like and maybe a few dimensions. I am finding that getting replacement parts for these older machines is rather difficult. Two emails to Altec and one call and have yet to find what I need. I will try again later today, but I am inclined to just have one machined up for me and get back to work! Thanks again, you guys are a great resource for information, Tom

Find Altec's # I wouldnt try and make it. I know they have to be in business still I'll do my best to find the number for you. My best is good enough, I found it 1-800-948-9483 That is Altec's number , it may not be the parts number but call that number and they will direct you . When you talk to the people who will sell you the parts ask about a manual or if they will fax you the pages you need, thats how i got the sheets I faxed you.

Last edited:
Barry and Steve, all is well. Finally got hold of altec and ordered pressure bar and manual (Man they are proud of there products!). I should be getting my stuff this week. Thanks to all that contributed information on my chipper. Hope I can help someone out in the future as well!
Tom

Latest posts

Back