Chipper Top for Dump Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCat1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
Bought an old Cal Trans dump truck at auction a while back.
Good truck... but I need to have a chipper box made for it.
Looking for an economical solution, doesn't have to be fancy.

Here's what I was hoping for...
1st pic is truck as-is, 2nd pic is how I'd like it to be.

Anyone know where I can get fabrication like this, or similar, in or around the SF East Bay Area?
One guy at Vermeer said he knew someone who made a canvas top for his truck, covered wagon, but that doesn't sound very sturdy to me.

Any suggestions appreciated,
~Tom

doesn't look to hard, call some welding/ sheet metal shops. Canvas would work but you would still need a frame. canvas is strong stuff and will last a good while, not relay cheap tho.

First place I went was a local welding shop.
Not sure we were communicating really well...
but the guy quoted around $5000!
That's about twice what I paid for the truck!
:confused:

First place I went was a local welding shop.
Not sure we were communicating really well...
but the guy quoted around $5000!
That's about twice what I paid for the truck!
:confused:

Try a different shop/ sheet metal shop.
Sounds like you were talking to my brother, haha
He can weld but has reversed ingenuity. bad combo

You could make a wood frame, coat it with something good and use canvas. It will last a while, by that time you will probably have a different truck.

:laugh:
Nice...
Yeah that may be the way to go for now.
Using canvas would save me the trouble of having to paint.
Guess I'll go do some pricing at Lowes/Home Depot and see what's what.
:givebeer:

:laugh:
Nice...
Yeah that may be the way to go for now.
Using canvas would save me the trouble of having to paint.
Guess I'll go do some pricing at Lowes/Home Depot and see what's what.
:givebeer:

Go to a lumber yard, it may be a little more money but the quality of lumber is so much better. You might need a custom canvas made but it shouldn't be to much more money. I have a 20' x 20' canvas for a tent, ill have to see what it cost. its over 10 years old and good as new except for some water, sap stains.

Maybe find the loops and canvas form an old army truck or something. When I'm doing a project i just walk around the depot and ideas pop in my head, I'm sure there are a few other good options.

i'm surprised none else is saying nothing, probably have some better ideas.

If it were mine...................I'd take some electrical conduit and bend it for "bows" for the tarp instead of using wood.
Get a good canvas tarp (preferably custom fit), they're expensive but will be a whole lot better and last a whole lot longer than the crap Lowe's & Home Depot sells.

Andy

If it were mine...................I'd take some electrical conduit and bend it for "bows" for the tarp instead of using wood.
Get a good canvas tarp (preferably custom fit), they're expensive but will be a whole lot better and last a whole lot longer than the crap Lowe's & Home Depot sells.

Andy

look at that, already a better idea!

I was thinking strong but it really doesn't have to be as strong as the truck frame. :)

Sounds good... but where do you find custom canvas?
:monkey:

yellow pages, Google etc.... we got it form a friend who knew a guy who did it.

if you were up here id weld up a top for 900$ for ya plus materials,and id paint it,

anyways why not just make one out of 1/2" plywood like i did, it cost me
175$ for 5 sheets of ply and some pressure treated 2x4's i just screwed it together and it pins onto the bed boards of the truck with 4 clevis pins, works really nice when i have to take it off quick and put my leaf box on the truck...sorry i dont have any pictures either my camera is MIA ive had it for 4 years now and its still solid!

canvas top

I have a canavas place that made a cover for my chip truck. they last about 3-4 years chipping into it with a bandit 280HD. Front corner pockets are sewed in and double layered rear 18" are doubled too. Cost was around $100.00 (cheap huh?)name of the place is Daroche Canvas or Truck covers. in Belvidere NJ. I will loook for a link for ya. keep in mind it has to have an tight but open mesh so it can breath and let the air out when chipping

http://www.derochecanvas.com/ you will find what you need here and you will like the prices too!!!!

attachment.php

Last edited:
You guys don't fool around out there in Jersey do you highpointtree?
That's quite a truck you've got there.

You guys don't fool around out there in Jersey do you highpointtree?
That's quite a truck you've got there.

thank ya sir!! I am just a small tree service but I I've been doing this long enough to work with some decent stuff. The material you want to use is the trampoline fabrick . it breaths and stretches. They have great prices and they will ship too. If you go this route then think about making the front out of plywood...

that canvas is awesome, i use it for my leaf vacuum box and it really does withstad some abuse, but wow i would have thought chips would eventually wear it out, but i guess dont aim the discharge too high and all will be ok

BTW real nice rig you have there too!

that canvas is awesome, i use it for my leaf vacuum box and it really does withstad some abuse, but wow i would have thought chips would eventually wear it out, but i guess dont aim the discharge too high and all will be ok

BTW real nice rig you have there too!

thank's...actually if I'm runnin out of room for chips I crank the chute up and shoot them in. the top looks like a popcorn foil it will expand real nice. you can fit an extra yard or two in like that. try doing that with a tin roof...LOL

not to mention the canvas cuts down on alot of extra weight , which means more room/ weight for chips in the case of a dot inspection / weigh in :cry:

Yep I gota say I like that tarp. I tried one on mine but I was using an old asplundh chipper and never really adjusted the chute flap. It ate the tarp up in no time. If you do go with metal make sure you hinge the top so you can load stuff. I hated loading mine the top was always in the way (loading wood chunks with loader). That truck does look great with that tarp ,unstrap it and load . Looks like a great setup.

Yep I gota say I like that tarp. I tried one on mine but I was using an old asplundh chipper and never really adjusted the chute flap. It ate the tarp up in no time. If you do go with metal make sure you hinge the top so you can load stuff. I hated loading mine the top was always in the way (loading wood chunks with loader). That truck does look great with that tarp ,unstrap it and load . Looks like a great setup.

THANK'S B Edwards... I am R Edwards. HOWDY. this is my small dump I have it hinged so 8 ft is open out of 12 ft when I need to load it. I load both trucks with a crane, so removable or folding tops r a must.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back