Chippers/other equip to get started in biz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Aside from climbing gear and chainsaws, any advice on what minimal equipment I will need to get started in the tree pruning/removal business?

I am kinda desperate. For background (for what it is worth) I am in a white collar profession but could never shake my farm-boy background (not that I wanted to). I grew up on a farm, and aside from farming, working in trees is trees is what I really enjoy. So I've been doing weekend work, and have "volunteerered" with a local tree removal company during my vacation. I got my arborist license for the city in which I live. Then I resigned from my job, last day is Friday. I did a large (to me) tree remvoval and pruning project on an acreage last weekend, and it was a real eye opener. I have absolutely no means to clear and haul the leaves, branches, limbs and trunks. In this case, the owner of the acreage rented a chipper, hired 5 guys himself to do the clearing, and I just did the tree work. This guy chipped everything onto a big pile on his own property. Then the neighbor hired me to take out two dead maples. I got them down, and then chipped the branches in the first guy's chipper. Now I've got two rotten trunks that I have to find a home for. As of Friday this will be how I try to earn a living. I know I sound like an idiot, and mabe I am, but I have to give it a shot.

Anyway, what do I do about the removal of branches, etc? I don't want to buy a $20,000 chipper, and I don't have anything to chip stuff into anyway. I was thinking about buying an old International Lodestar grain truck to put chips in, and renting a chipper for each job. Alternatively, I was thinking about buying a decent pick-up, and chipping into an old horse trailer. The Lodestar option sounds best to me b/c plenty of capacity and it dumps itself and I could tow the chipper at the same time. But then I would be driving a grain truck all over town, and this might not be fun when I need to run to the grocery store. Pickup and horsetrailer has its advantages also. I suppose I can hardly get away with not owning a pickup, so maybe this is where I should put my money. But then I can't pull both the horse trailer and the chipper at the same time.

Then there is the issue of the big trunks. I don't know where to begin. I've thought of loading them with a Bobcat or similar loader onto a flatbed trailer, but w/o owning a pickup, a trailer, or a Bobcat, this really isn't feasible.

I'm sure all of you guys had to start somewhere, and many of you likely had to be creative as hell back in the beginning. Any thoughts?

Well all the more power to you, I hope it works out for you.

The answer to most of your questions is called a PLAN, it doesn't even have to be a business plan. You really don't appear to have a plan other then quit your current job, which should have waited until you actually knew if this was a viable alternative.

You have to have a truck of some sort. A one ton dump might be the best compromise between a grain truck and and a 1/2 ton. The grocery store really shouldn't enter into the equation regarding your business vehicle.

You can hire someone to remove the "logs" you have from your different jobs or alternatively block them down into managable chunks to be removed in your truck.

I can't see any way around a chipper, used or new, short of many trips to a dump site to get rid of brush.

I probably came across as putting you down and that isn't the intention, I just am trying to point out what I see as hard cold facts.

I just started a land clearing business last month but not without a lot of investigation first. Before I took the plunge I tried to figure:

1) Can I use my existing vehicle?
2) What equipment do I need?
3) Can I afford the equipment?
4) Can I find the equipment?
5) Can I find enough business to support the venture?
6) Can I afford the insurance?

I did it because I wanted to and my wife's income can support my family in case the business doesn't work as planned.

A business like this can be equipment heavy or equipment light, in which case you are usually trading your labor and increased job time for the expense of the equipment.

Have you considered starting out by working for the service that you volunteered for?

Good Luck!!:)

Originally posted by Newfie

I did it because I wanted to and my wife's income can support my family in case the business doesn't work as planned.

True words of wisdom --- Behind every successful arborist, there is a woman with a good job ;)

Also the part about doing it because you want to. It is not a get rich quick scheme. If you want to make money, there are less labor intensive ventures that are more profitable. I figure, good healthy honest living, happy customers, healthier trees, what more can I ask for - I'll get the fleet of Ferraris in my next life.

Seriously, a plan, any plan. I had a plan when I started. I can tell you now it wasn't a good plan but after 3.5 yrs, I am still here and a bit wiser.

A tolerance for debt also helps.

Why not try the contact route?? You can eliminate a lot of head aches.

Nice pic. Reminds me of a guy I have seen around here. He walks around with a dolly that has a tarp, rake, craftsman saw, 1 gallon can, oil, pole saw, and god only knows what else.

If you are starting, I recommend making a plan and then having enough money to cover your fixed costs for 6+ months. Consider any money in that time to be gravy.

just starting too

I started my bussiness a little over a year ago and I started with a medium size chipper that would handle up to 6" branches. An old Farmall H tractor and a 32' flatbed trailer. I used my International bucket truck to pull the trailer and an 1963 GMC grain truck to blow the chips into. Worked great but now that i am by myself i put sides on the trailer bought a skidloader and the whole tree goes into the trailer. Just a couple ideas that do work if you have a place to burn the brush and stack the firewood. By the way the chipper and the truck still work great and they are for sale for about $4000 for the pair. Worth more but that is all i paid for them. If you are interested email me at [email protected]

Thanks for the input fellows.

Sounds like I should get a one-ton truck w/a box to chip in. What type and size of chipper? Any good sites for used chippers?

When I started in march of 93 I started simply because I lost my job. I was 22yrs old and had never work for or seen any tree companies. I only had a strong work ethic, 1/2 ton truck, a small 4x8 trailer and a sears chainsaw. I read alot of info and just went out and bought some climbing gear. I had never done this before but I started slow and carefully. My first year done alot of small stuff. I didnt make alot of money but I didnt have alot of bills. I cut everything aloft the first year with a razor tooth handsaw. I wanted to become comfortable in the tree before I took a chainsaw up with me. I did not have a plan, or experience or any savings when I started. Now ten years later I have five employies,a 55 ft bucket chip truck, a chip truck, vermeer 1250 chipper 2 grapple trucks, crew cab pickup, a dump truck, and a lot of gear. You have to belive in yourself, and take pride in the work you do. Remember when you run your own company everything you do reflects on your company. Experience deffinately helps, but even with it if you dont take pride in your work you will not last long. The best advertizing you can have is word of mouth, its the only thing I have ever used, even my trucks are plain white no lettering. The most important advice I can think of is to take pride in your work. I wish you all the best;)

Mike

i am selling my chipper

Neb
I live in Kansas City MO and I am actually selling my business. I actually have a larger chipper but am selling it at a reasonable price. I have a Gravely 12108 disc chipper with a 120 horse perkins turbo diesel runs great, has a brand new pto shaft and clutch as well as new belts and new knives. it has 840 hours and has been well maintained. I am asking 10,000 it is a 14 in disc chipper runs like new with new pto and new knives and new belt. If you or anyone else would like to see pics let me know. I also have a 2001 ford f350 with a 12ft flat bedwith dump on it that i used to chip into it was just perfect for someone starting out the truck has 36k on it and is also a 4x4 and has a transferable five year warranty. If you are intersested please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks Rich

Other good places to look for equipment are the Heavy Equipment Trader and Truck Trader WWW.traderonline.com search under chipper, chip truck, chipper truck, chip dump. Sometimes Ebay has decent stuff too.

Be safe.

"Behind every successful arborist, there is a woman with a good job "

LMAO!!!:D

But how true!

Another good source for an affordable chipper might be the major dealers. I know when I bought my Morbark, the first question out of the salesmans mouth was "new or used?" They often take in trades and "refurbish" them for sale to guys like yourself. I was lucky enough to stumble across a 2002 left over with only 22 hours on it. It kicks a$$!

Keep your eyes open; alot of 12" drum chippers (Asplundh) going for $3-$5k. They're simple, and easy to maintain, and still my favorite. You'll spend more in chipper rentals in a few jobs than you could buy one for. Believe me, been there/done that.

A decent used one-ton dump ought to do you well for now. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Never cut corners on safety. You can't work well from a wheelchair.

Liablility insurance is a MUST! If the worse case happens, can you buy someone a new car/house/etc? Protect yourself.

Get trained, and keep trained. There's always something new in this business, and it serves you well to stay in the loop.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help. I have helped other tree co's here, and they have helped me, despite the competition; keeping a good relationship can have its benefits.

And most importantly, TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER. Word of mouth can help you or kill you. Without them, you are unemployed. Treat them as such.

Latest posts

Back