Choose One: M.S. 441 or M.S. 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choose one

• Total voters
I vote the 460... My scooter is pushing over 100 horse, my dodge about 750 ft lbs of torque. and I like the smell of a detroit in the morning... 460 viabration? what vibration? :chainsaw:

I like the 441, granted I never ran it stock, as it went straight to get worked over, but with 3 modded 660's (one being a BBore) at my disposal, I use 28" bars on all saws 441 and bigger and I grab the 441 for all day work. It is just a pleasure to cut with, possibly it is a second slower than the 660 with a 28" bar, but I don't have a stopwatch in the woods to time it.

I know that from the "seat of the pants" testing, I can not tell that it is noticeably slower to the point that I am gaining anything by running the bigger "faster" saws. The fuel mileage on the 441 is great, a 460 especially a modded 460 is about as bad as a 660, as in cut and top 4-6 trees and fillerup, with the 441 I can cut longer without having to stop to refill gas and that means more trees hitting the ground at the end of the day.

If I cut firewood, hands down I would get the 441 over the 460 for the simple gas mileage, at the end of a long day more wood will be cut, because you aren't stopping and finding your gas jugs and filling up all the time.

As to starting problems, this 441, in the summer weather can be started with the choke once in the morning and then I never need the choke again all day, even after it sits for awhile during skidding and such. Typically it starts with just a half hearted pull of the cord on the first pull, all day long. If it gets a little cold from sitting for a hour or longer maybe two or three quick pulls and it goes with no choke.

The air filter system can go for weeks and weeks without being cleaned. I cut for 2.5 weeks and checked it everyday and after the 2.5 weeks it had two chips in it. For me the filtering system isn't a deal breaker as all my other stihls have never let me down in the reliability department with the older air system, but none the less, the 441 air cleaning system is just another plus.

I really like the 441's AV system, the saw is simply a pleasure to run. When in the cut the saw is simply dead, as in no or very little vibration. I ran a 660 for four hours the other day and that night and the next day I knew I had run it ..... as in my hands and wrist hurt from the vibrations. With the 441, I can run it for 10+ hours a day, back to back with absolutely zero side effects (same goes for the 361).

The 441 does take some getting use to as it does not cut like any other Stihl other than maybe a 361, as they really like to rev. It took me about a day to stop looking like a rookie and bogging it in just about every cut, I even cussed the thing and called the guy who worked on it whining because it had no balls in the lower rpms, but then over the next couple of days I adapted to how it likes to be run and since then I have really, really liked it.

I can certainly see how it has such a love/hate relationship with traditional Stihl guys, as it just doesn't lug like most Stihls we are accustom to operating, and I could see a lot of guys just throwing it away for the more traditional lugging models like the 460 or 660, instead of adapting to how the 441 likes to operate, none the less, I'm glad I have it and unless they come out with an "AV 660", I'll just use this 441 and be happy.

My opinion,

Sam

Unburnt hydrocarbons that are passing right through the saw directly in front of the operator. This is why Stihl is moving towards 'fresh air' for purging the cylinder in their two strokes and why the 4-mix engines are entering the market.

Hmmmm - I suspect the EPA has something to do with it........:greenchainsaw:

The 441 does take some getting use to as it does not cut like any other Stihl other than maybe a 361, as they really like to rev. It took me about a day to stop looking like a rookie and bogging it in just about every cut, I even cussed the thing and called the guy who worked on it whining because it had no balls in the lower rpms, but then over the next couple of days I adapted to how it likes to be run and since then I have really, really liked it.

That is a result of your porting. Stock vs. stock, the 361 and 441 do not all compare in powerband. The 441 runs like a 440 with a bit more power and torque. It does lug pretty well too.

I ported mine with torque in mind and it doesn't feel peaky at all.

lovely?

I voted for the 441. It's a lovely firewood saw and I have done tons (literally) of felling and limbing with it.

I do have a 181 and that thing is a beast. Definitely notice the vibes but love the deep growl of that saw. So... don't really need (did I just write that?) another saw in the 460 class.

LOVELY?:monkey:

Latest posts

Back