Choosing new 50cc saw, Dolmar, Husky, Stihl, Jonsereds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ-8_Jim

CJ-8_Jim

ArboristSite Lurker
What about unsold stock of Echo CS-510, 520 and 530?
Who cares - totally unintersting! :alien2:

And that folks is an example of what happens when you live in a small country with lots of offshore oil to export. (Norwegian oil and gas exports accounted for approximately 50% of total exports).

Easy money leads to sloth. Your citizenry becomes mentally and socially inept and resigns itself to setting personal goals like maximizing one's avatar post count.

Tut tut.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
My Husky dealer said to use the Husky XP synthetic blend for the first 2 1/2 gallons because it is better for breaking in the saw (he gave me a bottle of it). Then I can go back to the Stihl full synthetic I have been running in all of my 2 cycle stuff if I want.

Sound right, wrong, no big difference?

Old mythology dies hard, even with dealers.....:D

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
And that folks is an example of what happens when you live in a small country with lots of offshore oil to export. (Norwegian oil and gas exports accounted for approximately 50% of total exports).

Easy money leads to sloth. Your citizenry becomes mentally and socially inept and resigns itself to setting personal goals like maximizing one's avatar post count.

Tut tut.

:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You made my day!:msp_smile:

JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good little saw. You will like it. I was at a landscape show up in NH last week and I spoke to a husky rep about the 346xp. He said it was the hot selling saw for them. They were selling non-etech 346xp out the door for $428.24 with 18”B+C.

Ugg. That makes me sick.

Up here my dealer sells the 346 with an 18" B&C for $864!!!

My 5100 was $479. As much as I liked the husky product at the time, it was not much of a choice for me.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nothing wrong with a dolmar 5100. I purchased one several years back to replace the absolutely pathetic ms361 I own and I have never looked back. That little dolmar has worked its guts out for me and is just too stupid to die. Outfit it with 21lp and it cuts like a little red demon. Gets most of its work in an aerial bucket doing cut and drops too large for the ms200t. My 346xp(s) are used mostly on the ground for chipper support.

If it is any consolation, I did not purchase a saw at the show. I was looking for a 576 autotune and they did have one but they wanted $759. They did have 372xp (stratos) for $699 but I got plenty of the real deal on that model. Now that sweet Walker super B…..

Jere39

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks

Thanks to OP for starting this thread, and for everyone who commented, advised, and recommended. I was working through the same questions, and I decided on the Dolmar PS-510. I just picked it up today, and didn't do any sawing with it yet, but I did take it out to the first job it will have, cutting up some firewood oak that was taken down by a climber, and layed safely next to my tool shed. So, here it is, clean, virgin, and ready to cut. Maybe tomorrow.
jere39-albums802-178386.jpg

Last edited:
Carl Anderson

Carl Anderson

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Jere39, I was wondering yesterday how you made out and hopped on here today to ask. Glad to see you have a new addition to the family! It was tough for me to walk out of the Dolmar dealer because I liked that saw since last year. It was a close call and for the price I think you can't beat the 510. I just really liked the 346xp once I went to the dealer and saw it in person and got a feel for it and scraped up the extra money. If I ever have the need/money for another new 50cc saw (can you say CAD) the 510 will probably be an easy choice.

I'm really glad someone else was able to benefit from this thread and all the advice the experts gave us. Thanks to everyone who contributed!!!

I brought my Husky in yesterday so they could swap out the .58 bar/chain for the .50 I wanted. This way all of the new spare chains (without the kickback stuff) and the new Oregon bar I bought for the saw this is replacing can go on this one. I'll get some pics today before I cut and after I do some cutting. Got a little snow yesterday but it looks nice out today, hoping to burn some brush and cut a bit (yes I have a burn permit :angry: Too many nosey neighbors to go without one).

I cruised the stickies for advice on breaking in the new saw. Run it basically normal, don't be afraid to give it a workout but avoid running wide open with no load for the first couple of tanks of gas and avoid flush cutting stumps right away. High octane gas (92 or better) and good synthetic oil (full or blend) always.

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
Carl, just so you know. I was a bit disappointed with my new 346xp for the first few tanks of fuel (my old one was much stronger). The new one did get stronger as it broke in, but it was the 10th or 11th tank that did it. Now it's a screamin, cuttin saw!:msp_biggrin:

The Count

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Carl, just so you know. I was a bit disappointed with my new 346xp for the first few tanks of fuel (my old one was much stronger). The new one did get stronger as it broke in, but it was the 10th or 11th tank that did it. Now it's a screamin, cuttin saw!:msp_biggrin:

does this mean that you`ll stop saying that your OE runs better than the NE ?

The Count

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes that's one of the changes. The 5105 is pretty much a new saw that has the same plastic covers and so on. The top end, crank case and coil, is different on the 5105.

Sorry but many of the 5100 did have issues. Some were great runners, some were OK, some were weak and never ran right, many went boom.

If you want the best overall 50cc saw look at the Husky 346/353, Stihl 261 and the Dolmar 5105. I'd stay away from the Efco saws.

the 261 may be the best saw ever but atm is too young to stand among giants.

Niko, for how long did you run the above-mentioned Echos, & what exactly did you not like about them?

The CS-520 has received a lot of positive comments here, especially after a muffler mod & retune. A 520 top end will go on my fried CS-440 if I'm able to find one for a reasonable price.

Stock, the Echo CS-520 is a dog. It requires a muffler mod and retuning. Having messed with mine for a bit, I can see it is incredibly well made. Almost too well made - the muffler on this 520 weighs like the one on my 372xp. Does anyone make a nice cheap and tinny aftermarket one?

The only issue I have with the MS250 is the AV mounts are not very strong. It is a rubber O-ring/boot affair affixed with a plastic plug where it meets the handle. I have had 2 fail on me, but I am hard on this saw.

Glad you got that new saw, Carl. You'll love it. Break it in, and when the warranty is done, MM it and re-tune it. I woulda jumped on nmurphs saw if I needed a new 50 - that was a nice deal. But, I got my Echo CS-520 for $100, so I can't hardly complain.

The Count

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
"Like" is personal, subjective therefor and should not be mocked or judged. I know a guy who likes the Soviet Drujba chainsaw and for him it is #1 ever.( he cuts coal with it. what? you never cut coal with yours?)

Latest posts