Choosing new 50cc saw, Dolmar, Husky, Stihl, Jonsereds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I see what you mean. That's my string trimmer (weedeater).
Dang fine machine too! :)

I have in use a Husqvarna lawn mower. great machine, I hate when the grass is very moist. gets stuck for I have a bag for the grass.
I even fertilize the grass with magnesium based complex. seems idiotic to fertilize the lawn. at my home I didn`t planted any seeds, instead cutting it regulate with a scythe and the weeds gradually fade away leaving only the well adapted grass that makes beautiful, tough, not pretentious lawn.\
cheers.

...and then there is weight, bulk and handling.....:D

have you noticed how some men love women with big butts? some love them in spite of that and some just because of that ?
all those traits seem aphrodisiac for some. I can`t think of any other explanation; yet i`m only an apprentice.

I really enjoy how the big heavy ones handle though they do tend to tire me out faster than a skinny light one.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: We are still talking about chainsaws right.:rock:

"Like" is personal, subjective therefor and should not be mocked or judged. I know a guy who likes the Soviet Drujba chainsaw and for him it is #1 ever.( he cuts coal with it. what? you never cut coal with yours?)...

...have you noticed how some men love women with big butts? some love them in spite of that and some just because of that ?
all those traits seem aphrodisiac for some. I can`t think of any other explanation; yet i`m only an apprentice.

And on the bass....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iN42uzNFVmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Love Spinal Tap! More importantly love my new saw! Had a crap load of brush to burn today so I didn't get to cut a ton but I got in enough time to be thrilled with it already. I wasn't going too hard on it yet, wanna give it some break in time but it is fast, light and a joy to use. So glad I got it, could not be happier!

BTW, SaludaRiver you said you had your shopping list narrowed down to the Husky 353 and Dolmar 510 I think. Around here the 353 is hard to find and costs almost as much as the 346xp so I kind of crossed that one off my list. If I were looking to spend less than the xp I would choose the 510 but that's not from personal experience, just research and bugging the fine chainsaw guys here relentlessly. Anyway, let us know what you decide and how you like it.

I'll be posting the pics of my new 346xp shortly.

Well, how could anyone like the MS441, unless they belong to that group of people....:laugh::laugh:
Because the people that belong to that group actually use them instead of pushing paper specs. ;) ;) When i grow up I hope I can be just like you and have a crystal ball in my a$$ and know how a saw feels and runs just by looking at the paper specs. It may be your MO, but it gets really old after a while.

I've built and ran more saws in a week period than you have run in your life...and that is a fact not opinion.

OK, finally got pics of the new saw. Still had the tag on it but I took that off and got cuttin' pretty quick.

View attachment 178580View attachment 178581View attachment 178582

I have a Stihl KM110 multi-tool trimmer too. Just got that last year after gettiing tired of burning through box store trimmers in a year or two of homeowner use. Like the trimmer, need to get the leaf blower and hedge trimmer attachments for it next.

Unfortunately I had to buy the case separately. The saw was $20 off so the $40 case was not too bad. I never had a case for my old saw and it was a pain to keep track of the tools scattered around and getting bar oil leaked on the floor. I figured I spend that much on a new saw might as well get the case too. The powerbox isn't custom fit so I think just about any saw would fit in it.

Because the people that belong to that group actually use them instead of pushing paper specs. ;) ;) When i grow up I hope I can be just like you and have a crystal ball in my a$$ and know how a saw feels and runs just by looking at the paper specs. It may be your MO, but it gets really old after a while.

I've built and ran more saws in a week period than you have run in your life...and that is a fact not opinion.

Brad, tell us how you really feel, don't hold back :laugh:.

We all know that Saw Troll does not consider having actually ran a particular model of saw a prerequisite for criticizing said saw model :)chatter: :chatter: :chatter:). Yes, it does get old.

You're just having carburetor problems? Would a carburetor not be cheaper than a whole new saw or are you looking for an excuse to spend some cash? :msp_biggrin: If that's the case then go for the 353 or 346xp.

This is a very good point and I have considered it but I'm not positive it is just a carb issue. Yes, I did want a new saw anyway but I am going to try a carb rebuild/cleaning to try and save the old J-red as a backup saw or to sell.

Why not buy a slightly used pro saw at a fraction of the price? For $350-400 I would be looking at a nice 044 with 28" bar so I didn't have to bend over so much. I think you can also find the husky 346xp used in your price range or a good 026-260 stihl.Husqvarna 346XP Chainsaw - eBay (item 320676948578 end time Apr-02-11 17:39:03 PDT)

Wow, I went and checked this item to see what it went for. $455 for a used saw on ebay, not a super deal when I got a brand new one from a local shop for $480. Still, ebay and Craigslist are definitely worth checking for next time, just have to be careful to know your stuff and not to get sucked into a bidding war.

Unfortunately I had to buy the case separately. The saw was $20 off so the $40 case was not too bad. I never had a case for my old saw and it was a pain to keep track of the tools scattered around and getting bar oil leaked on the floor. I figured I spend that much on a new saw might as well get the case too. The powerbox isn't custom fit so I think just about any saw would fit in it.

I believe it fits a large number of saws, but not any saw.

Personally I have never felt the need for a saws case, but I can easily see that it is nice in some situations. :msp_smile:

Back