Christmas in October

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jthornton

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Well I broke down and got a bigger saw... the Stihl 021 just won't work on big stuff, well it just takes forever to cut with the little 2.15 cu in engine. So I got a MS-291 with a 20" bar and the RS chain... boy does that saw cut nice.

Sthil%20MS-291%2001.jpg

First thing I had to do was noodle a chunk oak! Then I read the booklet and checked the gas and oil.

I'm loving it!

JT

jthornton

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Funny thing the MS271 is heaver than the MS291 with less power and less displacement. I think the 271 is just a small bore 291 for the same price. I wonder why anyone would get a 271? I got double warranty by getting a 6 pack of synthetic oil with the saw... they didn't say I had to use it LOL but I will.

JT

066blaster

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
They have way more power with a muffler mod. There is tons of info on how to do it on here. I was disappointed with mine till I did the mods. I had a 25 inch bar full comp on mine to cut some 36 in oak before I got bigger saws and it worked great.

066blaster

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Put a few tanks through it to make sure it ain't a junker. And then mod it, you will need to richen up it alittle. 1/4 - 1/2 turn out on the H screw. Look at a tuning thread for more info on tuning.