Cir Clips GRRRRRR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the "ears" as I understand it is they add enough weight to cause the whole clip to possibly come out in high rev operations and/or they break off and get into the piston, combustion chamber, etc.

See, with old McCulloch saws you never reach those kind of RPM so not a problem.

Mark

The problem with the "ears" as I understand it is they add enough weight to cause the whole clip to possibly come out in high rev operations and/or they break off and get into the piston, combustion chamber, etc.

See, with old McCulloch saws you never reach those kind of RPM so not a problem.

Mark

Hey Mark, looks like your saw library is getting a little thin-you might want to pull the trigger on a few more saws! :yoyo: CAD anyone?

Here is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to installing cir-clips

www.buxtools.com

I've been using them for awhile now and it is better then any of the other tools I have to do the same thing.

:cheers:

Might give them a try. I seldom lose a clip, I have however scratched a piston or two with my screw driver. I've had zero luck with Stihl's units...may as well give these guys a go.

For forty bucks, if they save me one finger stabbing, I'd call it a bargain :)

Lake, have you seen the modified Hemostats? Ole timer I know had a set that he ground to fit the slot and cut a grove into the end.

Slide the clip into the left side and rotate until the right side lines up with the grove. The unmodified jaw goes on the outside of the crank and snap/slide the clip in. Ole timer swears it was a standard tool sold by Stihl back in the late 70's...but I've not come across anyone else who know of or has seen it.

Figure I'd ask one of the elders around here...

:)

Might give them a try. I seldom lose a clip, I have however scratched a piston or two with my screw driver. I've had zero luck with Stihl's units...may as well give these guys a go.

For forty bucks, if they save me one finger stabbing, I'd call it a bargain :)

Lake, have you seen the modified Hemostats? Ole timer I know had a set that he ground to fit the slot and cut a grove into the end.

Slide the clip into the left side and rotate until the right side lines up with the grove. The unmodified jaw goes on the outside of the crank and snap/slide the clip in. Ole timer swears it was a standard tool sold by Stihl back in the late 70's...but I've not come across anyone else who know of or has seen it.

Figure I'd ask one of the elders around here...

:)

If you get the tool from Buxtools you will like it it only takes a few seconds and the clip is on, You just put the clip on the tool and then align the tool next to the hole in the piston and give it a push and it's on 1st. time every time no hassle (NO PAIN OR LOST CLIPS)... :)

Last edited:
I put a dab of heavy grease on the piston before installing the clips, think it helps hold them in place. Even it pops out it will stick to the wall or I just follow the grease path to find it, sometimes. :)

Latest posts

Back