circular saw mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, been away for a bit, anyway im looking at stepping up from a chainsaw mill to a proper mill for occasional use, I have been offered an old rack saw with a 42" insert tooth blade, im mainly looking for it to rip small stuff in half for fencing material, make beams and posts and generally be a bit quicker than the CSM for lower value products.

has anyone on here used one, and what should i be looking out for, basically this is only going to cost me about half as much again as upgrading my csm to 50" would do so its not expensive :msp_w00t: its mobile as well and has a cross cut saw of the same size on the machine.

its belt driven, but im tempted just because of the cost, and some local foresters are interested in me doing occasional bits for them as well. I know its not as desirable as a BSM but for occasional use i think it would be ok, unless im presuaded otherwise

So it got its name from the cables and table . Those are common around here , 42 is large so it would cut 18 or so deep . Need big power , and not a one person job either

186769d1307628142-imageuploadedbytapatalk1307628138-456743-jpg

Nice saw mill.

It's not my mill. It's a friends. I run an Alaskan mill but if I can get the logs to the mill it is cheaper than doing it myself and a lot faster. I have a short video of the mill I'll try to post.
staticmap

Ok sorry I don't think the video works on here and the map was an accident. The walleye was an "accident" to. Oh well I'm going to stop drinking now.

that is alot of saw...and a dangerous bugger if you do not know what you are doing...it will take a big engine to make it cut efficieantly/accurately..the blade rpm has to be right to get the set out of the blade, and not so fast as to burn up the teeth..

Nice saw though, I wish I had one for a second process saw..

We used to run a similar setup when I was young and workin on the family's mill, ours was much much larger saw but regardless, two things I can think of...Dangerous and you need alot of controllable power. My uncle had two Big detroit diesels, One for reserve, since we milled many thousands of board feet back then!
If you get it, be very careful, you don't get many second chances. It can be run by one person, but you'll kill yourself doin it.

We used to run a similar setup when I was young and workin on the family's mill, ours was much much larger saw but regardless, two things I can think of...Dangerous and you need alot of controllable power. My uncle had two Big detroit diesels, One for reserve, since we milled many thousands of board feet back then!
If you get it, be very careful, you don't get many second chances. It can be run by one person, but you'll kill yourself doin it.

i also when i was a kid work on on a mill like that had a 52" used a d7 cat for power blade only turns 750 rpms (ithink)but yes very dangerous at one time when we was runing there was 6 mills in about 15 miles apart that i can think of and now there is only 1 and 1 on the repair list dont know what happin to them all but all the old timeers that ran them have passed away yes a pitb to run byyourself
larry

that is alot of saw...and a dangerous bugger if you do not know what you are doing...it will take a big engine to make it cut efficieantly/accurately..the blade rpm has to be right to get the set out of the blade, and not so fast as to burn up the teeth..

Nice saw though, I wish I had one for a second process saw..

There was a Frick, with I think a 52" blade on CL, in Lost River West Virginia. That's a little over 2 hrs form DC. It was less power source, JOe.

Latest posts

Back