clamp on mini-mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
/edit - and I should have written GRINDER, not mill in the title and below, which already has been quoted

I posted this in the chain sharpening forum with NO responses, so I'll try here.

Has anyone used the clamp on mill such as https://www.baileysonline.com/itemde...178&catID=9758?

I'm interested in getting something to mount on my milling bar and making some adjusters to sharpen chain at 10 degrees.

Last edited:
You might not be getting responses because the link doesn't work :laugh:, but I know what type of sharpener you are referring to.

As you mention I haven't seen a bolt-on sharpener that adjusts to 10 degrees, but my (indirect) experience with these is that they are not ideal. One of the guys that I hunt with has one that is a 12V which he hooks onto his ATV battery. He can sharpen a chain pretty quickly, but ends up taking a lot of cutter with it as the precision adjustment doesn't seem to quite be there as compared to a bench mounted grinder. Plus you are likely going to have to hand file down the rakers anyways.

In about the same amount of time I can hit each cutter with a file and be back in business. Although I am a bit odd and rather enjoy hand sharpening my chains... it's theraputic and I take pride in the quality, especially when sharpening freehand.

I posted this in the chain sharpening forum with NO responses, so I'll try here.

Has anyone used the clamp on mill such as https://www.baileysonline.com/itemde...178&catID=9758?

I'm interested in getting something to mount on my milling bar and making some adjusters to sharpen chain at 10 degrees.

I think you mean this link?
"www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15178&catID="

I don't think the ATOP will do 10º but the file-n-joint will. I have used the file-n-joint and it works OK but it's too slow especially in the field and I now touchup by hand. I will enable you to get all your cutters the same length but I'm not too fussed about that as long as they are not obviously too far out.

I think you mean this link?
"www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15178&catID="

I don't think the ATOP will do 10º but the file-n-joint will. I have used the file-n-joint and it works OK but it's too slow especially in the field and I now touchup by hand. I will enable you to get all your cutters the same length but I'm not too fussed about that as long as they are not obviously too far out.

Anyways, just grabbed the link again and it works for me in preview mode.
https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+109176&catID=9758

I realize it's not DESIGNED to do 10º, but I thought with some innovative shimming it could be adapted.

Oregon Bar Mounted Mini Chain Grinder (115 Volt)

This compact grinder leaves a precision machined finish on cutters without having to remove the chain from the saw. It comes with one 3/16" grinding wheel for sharpening standard 3/8" pitch chains and .404" pitch chains. It also comes with a wheel-dressing brick, and a template for pitch, depth-gauge setting, and wheel contour. It will sharpen most 1/4", .325", and mini 3/8"-pitch chains with the purchase of an 1/8" wheel. This grinder will not grind below a 20 degree angle, so it will not sharpen ripping chains.

And with the increasingly complex design of CSM's showing up here it seems adding in a place to mount a chain sharpener would be easy.

The fastest mechanical device for touching up in the field is a hand held grinder with a grinder guide but I rarely use mine as I find it takes me the same time to use a grinder as it does to hand file. The only time I now use the file-n-joint is on my square ground chain

Back