classes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
where are rec climbers learning in different parts of the country , i taught rec climbing in nyc but i never realized how big it was, anyway just curious j

I Am New To Tree Climbing. I Live In Pfafftown Nc Which Is Outside Of Winston-salem. My Instructor Is Bob Wray Of Blueridgetreeclimbing.com. He Is Located On The Blue Ridge Parkway In Meadows Of Dan Va. His System Is Not Gear Intensive So I Was Able To Purchase All Of The Gear For Around $700. He Has A Long History Of Cave Diving So He Is Very Focused On Safety And Teaches How To Get Out Of The Worst Case Scenario. He Offers A 3 Day Class That Is Usually 1 On 1. I Would Recommend Checking Out His Website.

jmack said:
where are rec climbers learning in different parts of the country , i taught rec climbing in nyc but i never realized how big it was, anyway just curious j

Georgia and the southeast and the Pacific northwest are the U.S. epicenters for rec tree climbing instruction. But instructors are starting to break out all over including Colorado, Michigan, Mississippi, Illinois/Ohio, California, Virginia (Bob Wray) and Massachusetts to name a few.

jmack did you teach rec climbing at the NYBG?

obviously you are talking about instructional classes so this is a little off topic, but has anyone read or heard about the difficulty classfications given to rec-trees? its an interesting concept (largely based on the system used to classify rock climbing routes) that involves assigning trees numbers like 5.3 or 2.1 to indicate levels of technical and physical difficulty

yes

moss said:
Georgia and the southeast and the Pacific northwest are the U.S. epicenters for rec tree climbing instruction. But instructors are starting to break out all over including Colorado, Michigan, Mississippi, Illinois/Ohio, California, Virginia (Bob Wray) and Massachusetts to name a few.

jmack did you teach rec climbing at the NYBG?
yes it got bigger every year

ratings

Sizzle-Chest said:
obviously you are talking about instructional classes so this is a little off topic, but has anyone read or heard about the difficulty classfications given to rec-trees? its an interesting concept (largely based on the system used to classify rock climbing routes) that involves assigning trees numbers like 5.3 or 2.1 to indicate levels of technical and physical difficulty
that i havent heard but thats pretty cool

7 beans

GIZROID said:
I Am New To Tree Climbing. I Live In Pfafftown Nc Which Is Outside Of Winston-salem. My Instructor Is Bob Wray Of Blueridgetreeclimbing.com. He Is Located On The Blue Ridge Parkway In Meadows Of Dan Va. His System Is Not Gear Intensive So I Was Able To Purchase All Of The Gear For Around $700. He Has A Long History Of Cave Diving So He Is Very Focused On Safety And Teaches How To Get Out Of The Worst Case Scenario. He Offers A 3 Day Class That Is Usually 1 On 1. I Would Recommend Checking Out His Website.
wudugit fer 700.00?

700 beans

Here Is A List Of The Equipment That I Got To Start Climbing.
200' Of Sportline From New Tribe. I Cut The Rope To 150' And Made My Lanyard And Split Tail From The Excess.
Smoke Jumper Saddle From Sherrill
Petzl Ecrin Roc Helmet
180' Of Zingit With An 8oz. And 10oz. Wts.
Line Mug From New Tribe
5 Petzl Biners Ball Lock
Leather Cambium Saver
Figure 8
Folding Cube Laundry Hamper From Lowes For $5 To Hold Throwline These Things Are $14 At Sherrill
Self Closing Bag From Sherrie
I Am Using An Old North Face Pack To Carry All Of The Equip.
Tarp From Walmart $7. I Was Wrong About The $700 It Actually Came To Around $600 With Tax And Shipping. This Is All That You Need To Get Into The Trees. The Sportline Is A Great Deal Because You Can Get 200' Of Rope For $100. Bob Wray Has Been Climbing On The Same Rope For 6 Yrs. And It Is Still In Good Shape. You Can Really Save Quite A Bit By Making Your Own Lanyard And Split Tail.
In The Sherrill Catalog Split Tails Are $26 And Lanyards Are $89.

Back