Clayton 1600m burn times?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Theres your problem. I'm heating 2400 square feet with 10 foot ceilings with mine. My house is an old victorian. Those furnaces are rated at 3000 square feet. If I were you, I would consider selling it and getting a furnace thats closer to what you need as far as square footage. That sucks, but you'll end up dampering down all the time and risk having a chimney fire. I've heard some good things about the englander furnaces. They are rated for 3000 square feet, but I think those would be better in your situation. Plus I would bet you will burn less wood. Just some things to consider.

Square footage is approx. 1600. It's a 4 level split. Thats what i have been trying the last 2 days. It just sucks building a fire 2 times a day!

Apollo...you have a four level split is each level 1600 or all levels combined?
what kind of chimney do you have? outside of home? thru the middle of home? is it masonary? is it
prefab? we will help you out...we need the complete picture...thanx...DW:givebeer:

House is 1600 sq. ft. minus the basement. Basement is 35x20 it has heat going to it also. Chimney is in the attached garage and is single wall black to the ceiling and double wall insulated stainless with cap the rest of the way. I can't figure out how to post pics to save my life!

House is 1600 sq. ft. minus the basement. Basement is 35x20 it has heat going to it also. Chimney is in the attached garage and is single wall black to the ceiling and double wall insulated stainless with cap the rest of the way. I can't figure out how to post pics to save my life!

I am not being a smart a$$.
Check the search function under "posting pics for dummies". This thread was done by AS member parrisw. It helped me out a great deal, and I was finally able to post pics.

SInce you are in NE Ohio, Why not try burning coal? It is my understanding that the Claytons are capable of burning coal. Just be sure the combustion air comes from UNDER the grates when the coal is burning. You will be surprised at the burn times you can get and you will also be able to throttle the stove way down without worrying about creosote..

I burn coal in my indoor boiler and I heat a 3,500 sq ft log home on top of a very cold mountain. at 10 degrees I can get a 16 hour burn time but I usually fix the fire twice a day... at 32+ degrees i can pretty much make it 24 hours..

here is a link to a coal burning site that is excellent www.nepacrossroads.com

Last edited:
SInce you are in NE Ohio, Why not try burning coal? It is my understanding that the Claytons are capable of burning coal. Just be sure the combustion air comes from UNDER the grates when the coal is burning. You will be surprised at the burn times you can get and you will also be able to throttle the stove way down without worrying about creosote..

I burn coal in my indoor boiler and I heat a 3,500 sq ft log home on top of a very cold mountain. at 10 degrees I can get a 16 hour burn time but I usually fix the fire twice a day... at 32+ degrees i can pretty much make it 24 hours..

here is a link to a coal burning site that is excellent www.nepacrossroads.com

Dont want to be a thread highjacker, but KTM rider. Post a picture of your home it sounds like a great home setting.

Back