Clean up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some advice. I started out small a couple years ago and am to the point where my help and myself are tired of loading everything by hand into chipper and onto trailer. Am thinking about one of those Gehl mini excavators or a small Kabota tractor.
With the Gehl, I could put a Grapple on it but I think I could use the tractor for more things. Everyone I know that has a small Kabota tractor just love them.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

why not a small john deere. the 110 has a rear pto. front aux hydolics that you can run a grapple off of or what not. quick connect. plenty of power and nicer then kubota

and for the gehj, JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why not a small john deere. the 110 has a rear pto. front aux hydolics that you can run a grapple off of or what not. quick connect. plenty of power and nicer then kubota

and for the gehl, JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A grapple truck is nice, but can it pull stuff out from backyards? I don't think so. I personally would buy a 40hp tractor with a brush bucket in front and a grapple in the rear. Also with a tractor you can do MANY other jobs with it and is much more versatile then a log truck. IMO

Backyards I usually have found a way to get bucket in so that has
not been a problem. For the two jobs a year that truck access is impossible I charge high on these jobs as I really don't care if I get them. If I get them I make do the old school way with a smile because I am making good money.My grapple can dig waterlines, stormshelters ,scrap steel and everything is in one unit.I do have
a 45 horse 800 ford that I may put a log hog on, tough old tractor
for what I paid but no power steering so you will work.

Last edited:
Here the yards are so small you'd be lucky if you could get a 4x4 1 ton dump in the backyards of most. For me a tractor would work best, maybe try renting / leasing a few different machines to see which on fits your needs best.

Here the yards are so small you'd be lucky if you could get a 4x4 1 ton dump in the backyards of most. For me a tractor would work best, maybe try renting / leasing a few different machines to see which on fits your needs best.

i cant even remember the last job i had i could get a pickup in the customers yard in, let alone a clam truck. and how many people will allow you to drive on their lawn with a truck anyways?

grapple / clam trucks are awesome... but you have to get the wood / brush to them.

john deere 110 4wd problems

and for the gehl, JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a buss. asociate in the tree buss. that i grind stumps for. 3 years ago he bought a new deere 110 4wd. great little tractor only for LIGHT work. he is on his 3rd. set of front drive wheel assembly. seems if you use the front end loader for even light loading into his dump the wheel assembly just can't take it.WHEELS WILL LITERALLY FALL OFF. it was repaired twice under warranty but the last repair came out of his pocket. Regan

I have got my Mack in tight spots and will take down a fence
and customers will let you when you tell them labor will cost if they have a problem with truck access. I have got in with one inch on each side but
if you can't drive a tractor will be even worse. One option is a crane boom
one that will extend 125 feet then you could reach it from front yard and
could even put a basket cage on it. What ever you chose just remember
heavy duty is better when it comes to equipment .

Back