Cleaners for old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried simple green....zepp purple industrial degreaser... And orange solvent so far in my ultrasonic cleaner....so far the orange solvent works best..
purple solvent etched aluminum
...simple green is safe but not as effective as orange solvent

I didn't think Purple Cleaner or Simple Green have been around for 14 years.

None of the original posters are around here anymore...must have inhaled too much of that Purple crap.

Love castrol superclean. Never diluted it. Never had it eat anything. Will fade paint if you leave it on for a while though. Wear gloves, your skin will peel a little otherwise.

We used to soak aluminum military parts in industrial strength Simple Green, it's clear colored, not green and it is stronger than Simple Green or Purple Power. The only trouble I've had is finding a place that sells it. We soaked the parts overnight then rinsed them off with hot water. Never had to brush them, the Simple Green did the job! It would probably take decals or paint off however...

We weren't allowed to use it (or even have it) in the Air Force because of aluminum corrosion issues. It became the goto cleaner after they make MEK hard to get. After Simple Green got shelved it was some GP cleaner made by the Lighthouse for the blind that worked almost worse plain water.... just like the non stick duct tape and ultra thin and clog after 10 sprays $8/can rattle spray.

Simple Green has been around since the 80s at least, maybe earlier? For sure well over 14 years!

We weren't allowed to use it (or even have it) in the Air Force because of aluminum corrosion issues. It became the goto cleaner after they make MEK hard to get. After Simple Green got shelved it was some GP cleaner made by the Lighthouse for the blind that worked almost worse plain water.... just like the non stick duct tape and ultra thin and clog after 10 sprays $8/can rattle spray.

Simple Green has been around since the 80s at least, maybe earlier? For sure well over 14 years!
I guess 14 years isn't really all that long ago.

Actually...geezuz...I was only 48 yrs. old when this thread was started!!! That was years before I ever touched a puter button.

I use PSC-1000 from TSC in my parts washer which is a fancy number for naptha. I use this because my work room could become unheated in the winter and I don't want my washer to freeze. Naptha does a really good job, does not smell too bad and does not seem to affect rubber or most stickers. When it gets old, I bring it up to a recycling station but I have cleaned almost 15 saws with 10 gallons and it is still going strong.

As recommended earlier, use a small screwdriver to loosen the major crud and blow it out with air before applying the cleaning solution.

Latest posts

Back