Cleaning out an oil tank on a Stihl 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotax Steve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I acquired an old Stihl 039. I've gotten it started priming the carb with a shot of fuel. I'm certain I'll have this Stihl running soon but one problem I've noticed is the oil tank is filthy.
Any suggestions on how to clean it out without tearing it down completely? Here's what the inside looks like.
Hoping someone can give me some advice.
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20231103162629~3.jpg
    20231103162629~3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
I acquired an old Stihl 039. I've gotten it started priming the carb with a shot of fuel. I'm certain I'll have this Stihl running soon but one problem I've noticed is the oil tank is filthy.
Any suggestions on how to clean it out without tearing it down completely? Here's what the inside looks like.
Hoping someone can give me some advice.
Thanks
Steve
Flush out with acetone or toluene. And don't use waste oil as bar lube going forward.

Thanks for the suggestion. This wasn't my saw so whoever used it before may have used waste oil. Didn't even think of that as to why it's so bad. I'm guessing that's what was done.
Any other suggestions or agreement with acetone? Not that I don't believe your tip but I always like to get a consensus. 😁

Most any solvents that won't eat rubber are good for cleaning out oil tanks. An older friend of mine used to use gasoline with pretty decent results, and another would mix a tank 50/50 chainoil/diesel and run it to clean out any gunky oil.

A quick rinse with acetone works real well though

Most any solvents that won't eat rubber are good for cleaning out oil tanks. An older friend of mine used to use gasoline with pretty decent results, and another would mix a tank 50/50 chainoil/diesel and run it to clean out any gunky oil.

A quick rinse with acetone works real well though
Acetone and Toluene are both hard on rubber parts if you leave them in for a long time. Over night will be fine.
If it were me I would use either solvent I mentioned and a tooth brush heated and bent to an angle conducive to the task. Once it's scrubbed and clean flush with1 solvent and then let it dry and fill with bar oil.

Thanks everyone. I'll first try a gasoline slosh and see the results. If it does ok and seems like a second treatment would be helpful I'll do that too. Then go from there. Thanks again.
Steve

Back