Cleaning OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, Ive let the fire go out and I'm thinking I just might be done burning for the year.

What do you guys use to clean the sooty stuff around the door on the outside of your OWB's?

I figured I've got enough invested in it I might as well keep it clean, any ideas?

Well, Ive let the fire go out and I'm thinking I just might be done burning for the year.

What do you guys use to clean the sooty stuff around the door on the outside of your OWB's?

I figured I've got enough invested in it I might as well keep it clean, any ideas?

I just use a dust broom brush for around the doors. I use a brillo pad for the window then a wet papet towel. I just leave the inside of stove alone but after I use the brush to clean the flu and kind vaccumm the inside of stove.

I gotta replace my firebricks for next year. Probably do that in August.

I scrape as much of the loose stuff as I can then I spray/brush used motor oil all around inside the firebox and down the flue.

Then throw a bucket on top of the flue to keep the rain out and it sits until next fall.

i do the same, however i am considering flushing the water out this year. Does anybody else flush thier system out as well? I have recieved good water test back, not sure what to do?

I use purple power for cleaning my boiler around the door. I get a gallon of it at Walmart and then I dilute it with water and put it in a spray bottle works great.

I only drain about a gallon out of the bottom to clear out any sludge and check for problems (rust etc.). Then I top off the water to eliminate any air that might cause any rusting. I scrape the interior of the firebox and flue and use an old mop to apply used motor oil. Stick the flue cover into the firebox and put a bucket over the top.

I use a 1 1/2" putty knife with a beveled edge to remove the crud around the door. I have climbed into the firebox before to scrape it with the putty knife - I don't think I will be doing that again.

If you drain your water make sure you refill it quickly. I don't believe that there is a need to change the water if it tests well. If oyu have hard water then it can be good to NOT change it - the scale and deposits having already been made on the heat exchangers. Just make sure to remove and descale the heat exchangers using vinegar.

i do the same, however i am considering flushing the water out this year. Does anybody else flush thier system out as well? I have recieved good water test back, not sure what to do?

I drain mine every spring,and blow out the lines.

I drain mine every spring,and blow out the lines.

You refill it afterward immediately right? If not then you may be accelerating the rust formation on the water jacket. Water reduces available oxygen which reduces the impact of rust on the metal - you will have water vapor in the space even if you blow the lines.

It is important to not leave an OWB empty unless you have a stainless water jacket - even then I wonder about the effect on joints and the water pump.

Never cleaned the outside of mine, a few spring thunderstorms does a fine job. The inside I work at a bit with a scraper and some sort of oil thinned with kero or diesel is sprayed liberaly.

I have a friend that "cleans" his by putting some cardbord in it. gets it hot to
burn out any creasote build up then scrapes any loose stuff off. Anyone else do this???

I have a Woodmaster and I drain the system every spring and add new water, then fire the burner up one more time and add 1/2 gallon of new water treatment. This is what Woodmaster requires for yearly maintenance and after 3 years the steel that is visible through the vent is still bright and shiny and shows no corrosion.

After the last burn I cover the stack, wash the outside of the OWB with Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean to remove the stains and let it dry. Then I clean out all the ashes, scrape off the loose creosote, then I take a metal coat hanger and straighten it out and put one end in my battery drill and let the wire bounce around and knock the loose soot off the tubes on top of the firebox, then I shop vac all the loose stuff out of the OWB. The final thing I do is spray the inside of the firebox with a mixture of motor oil and diesel fuel to coat the metal, and I take an oily rag and wipe down all the black metal door parts. It takes about an hour to get all this done and seems like a good investment - it is the only real maintenance that the OWB requires all year.

Last edited:
most high pressure boilers are either boiled dry or filled to the top, capped tight and a nitrogen gas blanket is applied to the top. This is generally used when a long term lay-up is anticipated. i just fill mine up as far as i can. scrape the inside, spray it with oil.

I have a Woodmaster and I drain the system every spring and add new water, then fire the burner up one more time and add 1/2 gallon of new water treatment. This is what Woodmaster requires for yearly maintenance and after 3 years the steel that is visible through the vent is still bright and shiny and shows no corrosion.

After the last burn I cover the stack, wash the outside of the OWB with Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean to remove the stains and let it dry. Then I clean out all the ashes, scrape off the loose creosote, then I take a metal coat hanger and straighten it out and put one end in my battery drill and let the wire bounce around and knock the loose soot off the tubes on top of the firebox, then I shop vac all the loose stuff out of the OWB. The final thing I do is spray the inside of the firebox with a mixture of motor oil and diesel fuel to coat the metal, and I take an oily rag and wipe down all the black metal door parts. It takes about an hour to get all this done and seems like a good investment - it is the only real maintenance that the OWB requires all year.

I like the metal coat hanger idea. This is my first yr with my woodmaster and dont want it to be the last.........

Back