Cleaning saws...whatcha use??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh alright Brad. Thats lots of air. Ours runs up to about 120.

I use compressed air, simple green, greased lightning, carb/brake cleaner, wd40, rags, picks, scrapers, screwdrivers.
Sometimes the pressure washer :)

You got it. You use what ever you have to, lol. I forgot to mention the HF sonic cleaner I just picked up. It's sweet for cleaning carbs and all the hardware.

This Sh:censored:'s going to sound funny, but I bet it will work.

5 gallon bucket, put in your solvent and parts, get one of those cheap medium sized dildos, Duct tape the pleasure device to the side of the bucket so as to still reach the controls, Turn on plaesure device.....Voila your utlrasonic cleaning......LOL....:cheers::cheers:

For those that don't have access to such accessories (or the knowledge that they come in various sizes), a hand sander will work too. Tape it to a stainless bucket inside a foam filled plastic bucket.

I'm not convinced it actually is ultrasonic, but I'm told they are effective.

I used to use an airstone to agitate solvent in my old parts washer, and even fabricated a spiral of copper tubing with small holes, hooked to an air pump in a later version.

For true ultrasonic, you'd need a signal generator (an oscilliscope would be nice to evaluate the signal), an amplifier, and transducers.

Unless I'm tearing a saw down, I use a parts brush, a rag, and compressed air to clean it.

For those that don't have access to such accessories (or the knowledge that they come in various sizes), a hand sander will work too. Tape it to a stainless bucket inside a foam filled plastic bucket.

I used to use an airstone to agitate solvent in my old parts washer, and even fabricated a spiral of copper tubing with small holes, hooked to an air pump in a later version.

For true ultrasonic, you'd need a signal generator (an oscilliscope would be nice to evaluate the signal), an amplifier, and transducers.

Unless I'm tearing a saw down, I use a parts brush, a rag, and compressed air to clean it.

Yea, A hand sander would work good also. :greenchainsaw:

I worked for years in radiator shops where hot caustic dunk tanks are used for cleaning rads. Some had ultrasonic, some didn't (or that part was busted) and the lack of ultrasonic never seemed to make a difference. What did matter was temperature. The hotter the better!

Does anyone have the know-how to make a homemade ultrasonic cleaner from parts available at electronic supply houses? Just a thought.

Know-how, yes. Time, no! :laugh:

... a hand sander will work too. ...

It's not. That doesn't mean it doesn't do any good, but it's not ultrasonic.

My saws usually only get two "Good" cleanups while I own them, 1st to clean and inspect when I buy them, 2nd to clean and inspect before I sell them.

In between times I just use compressed air to blow the crap off of them.

:agree2:

5 gallon bucket, put in your solvent and parts, get one of those cheap medium sized dildos, Duct tape the pleasure device to the side of the bucket so as to still reach the controls, Turn on plaesure device.....Voila your utlrasonic cleaning......LOL....:cheers::cheers:

dang outlaw,,,pass around some of that stuff you are smoking,,:cheers::cheers: ,,,,if i did that,, my wife would kill me

If I'm doing a regular cleaning I use compressed air, toothbrush and a putty knife. I might wipe it down with alcohol for extra credit.

But if I've got something pretty much broken down, I'll spritz it with full strength Simple Green then rinse it off with hot water (I've got an instant hot water dispenser on my kitchen sink) in a spray bottle. It works surprisingly well. I've bent up a little tray out of 1/4" hardware cloth that holds parts over a plastic wash tub. The tub catches the water. Should I post a pic?

Absolutely post up that pic- especially if you have if in the kitchen sink

Got this idea from someone here, wish I could remember who so I could give them the credit. Works great.

attachment.php

Compressed air foam bright coil cleaner, you have to really rinse the coil cleaner off good, for the bar cover and the top of the saws. WD-40 for the rest.

I use 150 psi to blow off the big stuff before I tear into it too far. I've been working on a red-neck parts washer, it's a big rubbermaid tub with a shelf built out of sheet metal on one end, just above the solvent. I'm making baskets from 1/2" rabbit wire for dunking and soaking. I have several different brushes for scrubbing. I use around 80% diesel fuel and 20% gasoline.

After cleaning in the "solvent" I use dawn dish liquid and the hottest water I can put my hands in to remove the oily reside. Then I blow it all off again. It works really well but is a lot of hard work.

I can't in good conscience sell a nasty saw, and most every saw I get well be sold...sooner or later.

My saws usually only get two "Good" cleanups while I own them, 1st to clean and inspect when I buy them, 2nd to clean and inspect before I sell them.

In between times I just use compressed air to blow the crap off of them.

I agree with that...I was thinking more along the lines of initial inspection/needs to be worked on and grimy-type-deal...

1. 175 PSI compressed air to get the bulk off
  2. Parts washer with Mineral Spirits/ Paint Thinner to get it clean.
  3. Wesleys whitewall cleaner for normal stain remover.
  4. Brake cleaner for tougher cleaning
  5. Carb cleaner with Methylene Chloride for removing the toughest stains and splattered paint.
How about stained/dirty/etc plastic parts (bottom of Husky saws, Stihl plastic handles, etc??

.... It works really well but is a lot of hard work.

I can't in good conscience sell a nasty saw, and most every saw I get well be sold...sooner or later.

Damn Right! it's hard work...what a PITA!

I agree with selling a nasty saw...I sure get them that way though!!!

Last edited:
Twinkle gets a daily shower in the back of the pickup every work day. Cold rain keeps a saw alert. To get into those hard to reach places, we rely on wind. Last week was a very good cleaning week here. The drying process will occur during the latter half of July and go to October.

Don`t use the new one.

alot of guys here use the dishwasher actually. i havent tried it as of yet.
I used our brand new one.I had an 044 rear fuel tank handle that needed a good cleaning.I put it it our brand new dishwasher.I got **** all over the new dish washer and it stunk like gas for a couple days.Wife almost killed me.Pretty freakin stupid on my part.The handle did come out nice though!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Curious as to what others use to clean saws, in general, and/or for full teardown....

my philosophy is: the job is dirty enough, I hate working on greasy sh**ty saws.

I use safety glasses (well, I should...usually it's closed eyes, and turn head...:dizzy:)

A: Hit with compressed air to get the big stuff off
B: Castrol SuperClean, big stiff bristle scrub brush, tooth brush (Wife's....please don't tell:jawdrop:) small 1" scraper, and a stick/toothpick, etc

One guy I know uses 50/50 diesel & gasoline...(must have a parts washer...that might be next on the list...)

I've heard of some people (having the LUXURY of) steam cleaning, or a big parts washing machine...must be nice!!

Jay

We use a water hose and simple green to get the big stuff off. Then we tear the saw down and use flat head drivers to further clean the small parts and soak everything we can in really hot water and dish washing liquid (it removes grease pretty well).

Have you found one skin tone works better than the other on the "pleasure device". As far as the safety police are concerned what about using one of the plug in devices around water? I would like a ruling please. Thanks

Latest posts

Back