cleaning your chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David (saltas)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use a wire brush after a soak in mineral turpintine
I use the jig I made to hold the chain still while I give it a brush.
I made a jig to hold the bar while I dress it, it has a block of wood at 90 with a file screwed to it so I can dress the rails quickly and the chain grinder is screwed on to the end of it, the hole thing took me about 10 minutes to make out of what was laying around in the workshop.

I found this "chain cleaner" in a woodwork forum

[video=youtube;IauN8GMUCy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IauN8GMUCy0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

this took a lot more than ten minutes to make and only does one job.

rubbing alcohol removes sap very well and is water soluble so you can rinse your chain off with a hose

That jig does a nice job cleaning chains, but I find that a USC does an exceptional job, it leaves the chain like new. About the only thing it won't do is remove rust like a wire wheel would, but it really excels in getting dirt and oil off the chain and getting those nooks and crannys. If I find some rust after I clean it with the Ultrasonic, then I hit that spot with a wire wheel.

Have you tried to use WD-40 in the ultrasonic cleaner? I know it will disolve sap and rust. It would also be good for the chain and won't hurt it to leave it on there. Just wondering if anybody has tried it already.

Hope I don't sound like I'm trying to hijack this thread, I'm trying to stay on topic here but...

Have you tried to use WD-40 in the ultrasonic cleaner? I know it will disolve sap and rust. It would also be good for the chain and won't hurt it to leave it on there. Just wondering if anybody has tried it already.

Never tried it, Might work though, I use a 10% purple power and water mix. WD-40 might work great but, I don't know about a fire hazard and also the expense. I use the same jars for both carbs and chains, I rinse them in between. I also like the fact that there is almost no fumes, very little expense or much labor involved. You just toss it in the USC and wait 6 minutes and like magic, the stuff comes out looking great.

Last edited:
That jig does a nice job cleaning chains, but I find that a USC does an exceptional job, it leaves the chain like new. About the only thing it won't do is remove rust like a wire wheel would, but it really excels in getting dirt and oil off the chain and getting those nooks and crannys. If I find some rust after I clean it with the Ultrasonic, then I hit that spot with a wire wheel.

Yes, the U/S cleaners work wonders on chains. I had a bad one I used to cut some railroad ties with. It was caked with creosote, tar and wood. 30 min in the cleaner, it looked like new. :clap:

I use a wire brush after a soak in mineral turpintine
I use the jig I made to hold the chain still while I give it a brush.
I made a jig to hold the bar while I dress it, it has a block of wood at 90 with a file screwed to it so I can dress the rails quickly and the chain grinder is screwed on to the end of it, the hole thing took me about 10 minutes to make out of what was laying around in the workshop.

Got a photo?

Philbert

photos

bar and chain service jig

I hold one end of chain with left hand and hook the other end of chain around the roofing screw and have at it with wire brush. Like I said in OP took about 10 minute to make, I added the chain sharpener later, happy accident that there was room for it.

saltas-albums764-173387.jpg

saltas-albums764-173386.jpg

I hold one end of chain with left hand and hook the other end of chain around the roofing screw and have at it with wire brush.

I have something similar. I screwed an old cabinet knob to a board, and stretch the chain over it. Spray it with WD-40 and hit it with a stiff, nylon brush.

BobL's device has the advantage of power brushing and speed, but the moving chain so close to his fingers still spooks me, even if it is running backwards.

Philbert

Cinderella Story

Salvaged from a 'free' pile at a GTG.
A few trips through the ultrasonic cleaner with paint thinner (in a glass jar in the water bath). Followed by a light brushing.

Not quite clean enough to return to the store as 'unused', but clean enough for a trip to the grinder and a whole bunch of wood.

Will hit them with WD-40 after sharpening to make sure that there is still some lube around the rivets after the paint thinner cleaning.

The photos don't really show how dirty the 'before' chains were, or how clean the 'after' chains were. But it sure is fun to take a photo of a dull chain, and hit the 'sharpen' feature on the computer software.

Philbert

'BEFORE" Oregon
attachment.php

'AFTER' Oregon
attachment.php

'BEFORE' STIHL
attachment.php

'AFTER' STIHL
attachment.php

'AFTER ?'
attachment.php

I use oven cleaner from the dollar store. Works really quick and cleans everything off, sap and baked on tar included. Works well on the fron of saw and bar too. Eats "soot" / exhaust from saw body as well. Try it, I believe you'll be surprised how well it works.

If you have some rusty chain or chain that's really gunked up from sap, mix about one cup of Acetone to a half-gallon of diesel. Soak it in that for a couple days and it will be quite clean and rust-free when it comes out.

Back