clearcuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i thought we would have a clearcut enlightenment discussion. a myth vs. fact type thing.

here's something i ran across today:

"Prohibitions on clearcutting could lead to declining abundance of
shade-intolerant tree species (e.g., several pines, birches, aspens, ashes, and poplars) and the habitats they support (Nyland 1996)."

from: http://www.idahoforests.org/img/pdf/clearcut_SAF_position.pdf

SO the argument is about impact on plants and animals form clear cutting? Or that its bad or good in general.

Fact- Trees regrow

Clearcutting is a silvicultural practice.

Some species benefit from even-aged management.

Some species benefit from uneven-aged management.

Clear cutting is pure evil!!!!!
Or at least that's what my grand daughter said she learned in school.
At Christmas, my grand daughter that lives in Austin just asked me; Paw Paw, would you promise me you would quit cutting trees, and killing animals so people won't think you're bad? She's in pre-school, imagine what she'll know by the time she's in high school.

Andy

At Christmas, my grand daughter that lives in Austin just asked me; Paw Paw, would you promise me you would quit cutting trees, and killing animals so people won't think you're bad? She's in pre-school, imagine what she'll know by the time she's in high school.

Andy

Unless she is taught to think for her self, she will learn and believe what ever they want.

Sorry just had to get that in there no reason a preschool kid should ask you to stop doing something, unless coached.

Andy

Austin, TX... oh boy.

great city, lots of fun, but damn some of the things they're putting into people's heads down there. lots of hippies and enviros.

"Prohibitions on clearcutting could lead to declining abundance of
shade-intolerant tree species

That sounds a little strange to me. The dominant species in an old growth stand will be the ''shade-intolerant" ones, won't they ? The understory species will naturally be the shade tolerant ones. What I've seen is that "high grading" or cutting of the best trees (oaks, ash, etc.) out of a stand while leaving the "junk" will eventually lead to the dominance of the shade tolerant, and usually less desirable species, so maybe that's what they're talking about.

Clearcutting is merely bumping succession back to its beginning. For example, around here Oak/Hickory is the climax forest but we have tremendous acreage in planted pines. We have to fight nature every step of the way to establish those "shade intolerant" pines which means we have to somehow control the hardwoods which can overtop the early successional stage species of pines.

The article is kind of misleading or maybe incomplete is a better word. Reading between the lines, they might be referring to conifers as being the shade-intolerant species that might decline if clearcutting is stopped, and that is certainly true.

Latest posts

Back